GC2012: South Carolina's Actions: A Shot Heard around the Anglican Communion

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by R_A, Jul 13, 2012.

1. R_A

R_A Active Member

US of A
    Religion:
    ACNA Anglican
    What an amazing article, read the whole of it:

http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=16302#.UABFX5HQtuk

2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Adam Warlock likes this.
  3. Anna Scott

CNN: Episcopal Church approves same-sex blessing service

The CNN report did quote Rev. David Thurlow of South Carolina who spoke against the policy.

The CNN report also quoted Randall Balmer, Dartmouth University religion professor and an Episcopal priest, who actually said that he expects little fallout from the policy within the American church. The reason he gave is that most of conservative Episcopalians have probably already left the church.

4. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Ouch, that's horrid! How sad! It should pain all of us deep in our hearts that such a venerable old institution, daughter to and successor of the ancient Church of England in the American Colonies, should fall so far. We who are Anglican, really or at least spiritually, love unity in the end, no matter our differences. This is my recent realisation, and makes so much sense from a reasonable, balanced standpoint. The Protestant Episcopal Church of the USA though, seems to have tried hard to abandon all logic and moderation!

We should always hate schism and the destruction of the old, even if it does bring a dawn of the new. I bet there will be much weeping in Heaven from Christ Himself, who may very well repeat His words to Jerusalem: "how often would I have gathered you, like a hen gathers her chicks beneath her wing"! May God grant it, even in the worst fires of doubt and emotion!

The worst thing is that when an old Church begins to split at the seams, those who are hurt tend not to stay and try to heal the wound, but leave to form a new institution that has the old name, except there is a word like "Orthodox", "Conservative", "Liberal", etc., prefixed to it. This is exactly the sort of behaviour that makes Protestantism a laughing stock amongst the old churches. We shoot ourselves in the foot constantly!

Anna Scott likes this.
  5. Anna Scott

It is sad, indeed. It's been quite a tumble.

Truly our strength must come from the Holy Trinity.

I think those of us who have stayed this long have hoped and prayed for a return to orthodoxy. I don't like the idea of further splintering. Most of us don't. However, we may reach a point, when all hope is lost in TEC. The assault on the Sacraments is a serious blow. We may reach a point where the Continuing Anglican Churches are the only place for orthodox Anglicans. Sadly, not all orthodox Anglicans in the U.S. have a continuing Anglican Church in their communities.

Toma likes this.
  6. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anna, aren't Continuing Anglicans more focused on two Sacraments than the seven which you profess? Maybe that's a different set of churches though. It's hard to tell who believes what with the profusion of ideas... how confusing...

Looks like 1976 and 2003 were big turning points in the American section of the Communion. Do you think 2012 is a new milestone in the Jack & Jill-like story of the Episcopal Church? Will this disaster of 2012 have consequences that rival the schism after Robinson and the first splits after 1977? If conservatives left over one bishop 9 years ago, what about the whole Church voting to bless the exact thing Robinson is involved in? That's Red Alert.

I don't see why many of you haven't yet run in the opposite direction at Ludicrous Speed. Maybe conservatives actually have a backbone in some parts of the Church, unlike those who left without a fight in 2003.

7. Anna Scott

No. Actually many Continuing Anglican Churches are very orthodox and have more Anglo Catholic leanings. Unlike TEC, many do not ordain women Priests.

An example of a Continuing Anglican Church:
    Christ Church Anglican
    "The continuing Anglican bodies in the United States, as part of historic Anglicanism, remain entirely Catholic in faith and order, while also being non-Roman Catholic and non-Papal (and therefore Protestant in this sense only). Thus, Anglicans stand secure in the knowledge that they are in complete and unbroken continuity with the early undivided Church of Jesus Christ. This is a precious heritage and one largely assured to us by adherence to the principle of Apostolic Succession."

Also see: Continuing Anglican

Th 2012 General Convention is certainly an historic one, having moved yet another step away from the teachings of the Apostolic Church in approving blessings for same-gender unions; and undermining the Sacraments. It will take some time to see just how far-reaching the consequences will be.

There are reasons for orthodox Anglicans to leave; and there are reasons to stay. I'm still supporting my orthodox Parish and my Rector who is working to preserve and restore Anglican orthodoxy within TEC. Bottom line: it's complicated.

Sean611 likes this.
  8. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Exactly.

If I leave, the heretics grow stronger and the orthodox grow weaker. If I go to the LCMS, they don't have Apostolic Orders; and I'm not on board with some of Luther's thought. If I go to the EO, my understanding of original sin, the Holy Spirit, and sanctification are suddenly wrong. If I go to Rome, Mary suddenly has the Holy Spirit's role in many areas, and I have to submit fully to the Pope and to the idea of Infallibility. If I leave, it only hurts my parish - one that has opposed the revisionists since Day 1. If I stay, it hurts my witness in the community. The other option is to be a solitary orthodox Anglican at home, and I wouldn't want to do that long-term.

Very complicated. Still not sure what I'll do; still need prayer.

Gordon, Robert and Sean611 like this.
  9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Adam & Anna, while appreciating that the situation is complicated and spiritually frustrating, perhaps you will both respect the subtly inspiring words of Ignatius of Loyola in his exercises: when confronted with a bizarre new situation, remain in your state of life & do nothing for at least a week. I forget the exact place in the exercises and the precise wording, but it is a profound bit of understanding about universal human truths.

Don't hyperventilate. :)

10. Anna Scott

Adam,
    You've summed up our dilemma very well.

I really think the Continuing Anglican Churches may be the best choice for orthodox Anglicans. It will be interesting to see how many Parishes/Dioceses decide to leave TEC in response to the 2012 GC. We may be seeing more Continuing Anglican Churches pop up in communities which have no such choice at present.

Adam Warlock likes this.
  11. Anna Scott

Consular,
    There is definitely wisdom in that. :)

I don't think Adam or I will rush to a decision.

Toma likes this.
  12. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Bishop Lawrence is a hero.

Toma likes this.
  13. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    My prayers go out to all of you are so affected by the changes to your church.

14. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Bishop Lawrence has posted much on the diocesan website. Many meetings have been scheduled. My gut feeling is that we will now start a transition to the ACNA. My personal wish would be that ACNA would be less evangelical and more open to Anglo-Catholics.

15. Anna Scott

If the day comes, for any of us, when our Parishes abandon orthodoxy; I pray we will all have orthodox Continuing Anglican Church options in our communities.

I agree with Adam: Bishop Lawrence is a hero.