Fond memories of the church

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Robert Goedesky, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Robert Goedesky

Robert Goedesky New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As a child I grew up in the Episcopal Church, and it was one of the most formative experiences in my life. Our church, St. James, was built in 1660 and the sense of history could be felt walking up to the building and glancing over at the many tombstones dating before the church had been built. It made one feel humbled as you would reflect on the history of this sacred place and the countless generations who had prayed there before you. The church in my mind was this one constant, unchanging and solid, in a world where everything is in flux, it was like the history in which it was immersed.
    Unfortunately, as I grew into adulthood my beloved church began to change. We as Anglicans have always been accepting of all people regardless of their particular circumstances. However, our church, for lack of a better term, began to pander to a small minority of congregants. Steadfast faith and firm convictions were replaced by a moral relativism. It has now reached the point where Episcopalians should just merge with Unitarians.
    I long for the church that I grew up in. The church of solemn ceremony, of reverance, of adherence to the scriptures and most importantly, steadfastly resisting the mecurial winds of social fashion. God pray for our church!

CWJ, alphaomega, anglican74 and 3 others like this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Here, here! Well put, Robert!

alphaomega and Madeline like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

Welcome Robert. May we all return to the old paths.

CWJ, Lowly Layman and Madeline like this.
  4. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm sorry that I can only Like this post, as I love it.
    You'll find plenty of people here who wish the same, Robert, so welcome.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I found this today, in a brochure.

It worries me a little as it seems to lack any definition. I know that it comes from a Christian Community, yet I worry that it seems to have lost a sense of God, and seems too embarrassed to mention the Christ who lived and died that we might live.

Perhaps it is a lust for relevance, that lets us forget that we have something to say? I don't wish to be judgemental, I don't wish to engage in a Christian triumphalism, however I also do not want us to lose our identity and our sense of mission. That mission is not to get more people to go to Church, but to bring people into a positive and affirming relationship with God - Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier.

Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus

6. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is a welcoming space open to diverse beliefs and cultures. We come together to affirm the riches found in celebrating our diversity without fear, while naming the power of love and respect.
    This makes me sad. I think that so many bruised spirits and wounded hearts are looking for God, but because of living in a post-faith culture, fear of derision, and a materialist slant, people can't put a name to who they're really looking for. Their hearts are pulling them Godward, though, and I don't believe they'll find the peace that passes all understanding until they find Him.

I also do not want us to lose our identity and our sense of mission. That mission is not to get more people to go to Church, but to bring people into a positive and affirming relationship with God - Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier.

Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus

This made my day, so thank you.

RBrown, Christina, Spherelink and 2 others like this.
  7. Reader

Reader New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well they worked hard at destroying what they received, and they did a good job of it.

Spherelink likes this.
  8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    When enough people realise the fact that they are being drawn to God rather than a corruption of a faith, then peace will prevail