Favourite Quotes

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Old Christendom, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Do share! I'll start:

"People claim there is no truth, and they assert this as true; they say that man can know nothing, but this is something they think they know; they claim that "life" takes precedence over thought, and yet this is something they think! People are so stupid they do not notice these contradictions." ~ Frithjof Schuon, Logic and Transcendence.

antiquarian likes this.
  2. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    “A writer who says that there are no truths, or that all truth is ‘merely relative,’ is asking you not to believe him. So don’t.” ~ Roger Scruton

antiquarian and Incense like this.
  3. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday.”
    JOHN WAYNE

4. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    "It is not religion that is the opiate of the people, but atheism that is the opiate of the morally corrupt. Atheism is not primarily an intellectual revolt, it is a moral revolt. The atheist seeks to get rid of moral judgment by getting rid of the judge." ~ Dinesh D'Souza

antiquarian and Incense like this.
  5. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    "The streams of glory are not like the water of a conduit, often stopped, so that we cannot have one drop of water; but those heavenly streams of joy are continually running. Oh how should we despise this valley of tears where we now are, for the mount of transfiguration! How should we long for the full enjoyment of God in Paradise! Had we a sight of that land of promise, we should need patience to be content to live here any longer." ~ Thomas Watson

Mercy likes this.
  6. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    One of my all time favourites:

"We often hear that all religions are basically the same in that they all encourage us to love our neighbors, help the poor, forgive others, and generally be kind, compassionate people. Even if this were true (which it isn't when you get down to specifics), it would miss the point, because Christianity is not a religion mainly about a moral code to keep. Christianity is about a God who saves people who don't keep the moral code." ~Kevin DeYoung

antiquarian, Mercy and Incense like this.
  7. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    "The Covenant of Grace is the relation of the most intimate communion of friendship in which God reflects His own covenant life in His relation to the creature, gives to that creature life, and causes him to taste and acknowledge the highest good and the overflowing fountain of all good." ~ Herman Hoeksema

8. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    "In the unrevealed religions God is known only as He has revealed Himself in His acts of the creation and government of the world as every person must reveal himself in his acts if he acts at all. In the one revealed religion God has revealed Himself also in acts of special grace, among which is included the open Word." ~ B.B. Warfield

9. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    "Grant what thou commandest and command what thou wilt." ~ Augustine

10. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    And here's an immortal jewel of evangelical wisdom by the great doctor of grace:

"...the human will does not obtain grace by freedom, but obtains freedom by grace; when the feeling of delight has been imparted through the same grace, the human will is formed to endure; it is strengthened with unconquerable fortitude; controlled by grace, it never will perish, but, if grace forsake it, it will straightway fall; by the Lord's free mercy it is converted to good, and once converted it perseveres in good; the direction of the human will toward good, and after direction its continuation in good, depend solely upon God's will, not upon any merit of man. Thus there is left to man such free will, if we please so to call it, as he elsewhere describes: that except through grace the will can neither be converted to God nor abide in God; and whatever it can do it is able to do only through grace." ~ Augustine

Mercy and Scottish Knight like this.
  11. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Church is to us that very mother of our new birth, in whose bowels we are all bred, at whose breasts we receive nourishment. As many therefore as are apparently to our judgment born of God, they have the seed of their regeneration by the ministry of the Church which useth to that end and purpose not only the Word, but the Sacraments, both having generative force and virtue.

~ Richard Hooker (Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity - Book 5, chapter 50, paragraph 1)

God from afar looks graciously upon a gentle master.

~ Aeschylus, as translated in The Browning Version

Incense and Old Christendom like this.
  12. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A few quotes from two great poems:

Lives of great men all remind us
    We can make our lives sublime,
    And, departing, leave behind us
    Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
    Sailing o’er life’s solemn main,
    A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
    Seeing, shall take heart again.

~ Longfellow

Come, my friends,
    'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
    Push off, and sitting well in order smite
    The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
    To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
    Of all the western stars, until I die.
    It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
    It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
    And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Incense likes this.
  13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In The Last Battle, by C.S. Lewis, a character reacting to the reality of Heaven:

I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now ... Come further up, come further in!

The Narrator speaking about Aslan ~ Christ:

And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.

14. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Brilliant!

Toma likes this.
  15. Incense

Incense Active Member

:cool:

I really liked all the quotes shared here, thank you all!

Toma likes this.
  16. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm a big G K Chesterton fan

“There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person.”

“Fairy tales say that apples were golden only to refresh the forgotten moment when we found that they were green.”

For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.”

17. Incense

Incense Active Member

That last quote is amazing! ;)

18. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Brilliant quote!

Thanks for sharing.

19. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

Religion is the vision of something which stands beyond, behind, and within, the passing flux of immediate things; something which is real, and yet waiting to be realised; something which is a remote possibility, and yet the greatest of present facts; something that gives meaning to all that passes, and yet eludes apprehension; something whose possession is the final good, and yet is beyond all reach; something which is the ultimate ideal, and the hopeless quest.Alfred North Whitehead

O my Lord! If I worship Thee on account of the fear of Hell, burn me in Hell.
    And if I worship Thee with the hope of Paradise, exclude me from it.
    But if I worship Thee for Thine own sake, then withhold not from me Thine Eternal Beauty.Rabia Basri

Incense, Mercy and Old Christendom like this.
  20. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    "Let your Christianity be so unmistakeable and your walk so straightforward, that all who see you may have no doubt whose you are and whom you serve." ~ J.C. Ryle​