Faith, Baptism and Eucharist

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Weston Letson, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Weston Letson

Weston Letson New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Future Episcopal
    If salvation is by grace through faith alone, then why are Holy Baptism and Holy Communion necessary to partake in?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    God gives grace to us through means. The Church is his instrument for dispensing grace. Each of the sacraments has a different part to play in strengthening our faith, bringing us into deeper fellowship with God and the Church. Salvation is more of a lifelong process than a moment. The sacraments contribute to our faith and spiritual growth. Also, we don't necessarily believe in "once saved, always saved." We need all the grace that we can get! God set these things up for our benefit and instructed us to make use of them. That's why we do what we do.

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The sacraments have been called the seeds and medicine of faith. They quicken and grow faith.

4. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The Eucharist is the centre of prayer for Franciscans and our Rule stipulates that we must attend regularly.

5. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    WCF, Chap. 27, Of the Sacraments:

I. Sacraments are holy signs and seals of the covenant of grace,[1] immediately instituted by God,[2] to represent Christ and His benefits; and to confirm our interest in Him:[3] as also, to put a visible difference between those that belong unto the Church and the rest of the world;[4] and solemnly to engage them to the service of God in Christ, according to His Word.[5]

II. There is, in every sacrament, a spiritual relation, or sacramental union, between the sign and the thing signified: whence it comes to pass, that the names and effects of the one are attributed to the other.[6]

III. The grace which is exhibited in or by the sacraments rightly used, is not conferred by any power in them; neither does the efficacy of a sacrament depend upon the piety or intention of him that does administer it:[7] but upon the work of the Spirit,[8] and the word of institution, which contains, together with a precept authorizing the use thereof, a promise of benefit to worthy receivers.[9]

IV. There are only two sacraments ordained by Christ our Lord in the Gospel; that is to say, Baptism, and the Supper of the Lord: neither of which may be dispensed by any, but by a minister of the Word lawfully ordained.[10]

V. The sacraments of the Old Testament in regard to the spiritual things thereby signified and exhibited, were, for substance, the same with those of the new.[11]

Scottish Monk likes this.
  6. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    First, let me say that I'm glad you're searching and asking doctrinal questions! Historically, baptism has been a sign or mark of belonging to God's church, this is the reason we baptize infants in the Anglican churches (and others), but the expression of saving faith usually comes at confirmation. The sacraments are explained as an outward expression of an existing internal faith. I don't know that I could say Holy Communion is "necessary", but for a person to say that they love their family dearly, but not want to have a family meal with them would be a bit odd. The Eucharist is not only the physical presence of Jesus, but the fellowship of our believing family at the altar. I would suggest obtaining a Book of Common Prayer from your local parish, and read the catechism and articles in the back of the book, this will be very helpful! Keep asking questions my friend :)

Jeff

7. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Why is baptism necessary? Baptism is the means of entering the Church, the Body of Christ! It makes you a Christian.

The Eucharist ? ,Receiving it, is a response to an injunction of Our Lord, i.e. "Do this in remembrance of Me!" As is in fact Baptism.

Scotchbonnet and Scottish Monk like this.
  8. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    If anyone is depending on an outward ritual to make him/her a Christian, that person is still in his/her sins. Only faith in Jesus can make anyone a Christian. I've known many Christians who have not been water baptized, and I've known many water baptized people who were not Christians.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    When we say that, we mean that it is the beginning of the life of faith (except for those who come to faith before their baptism). At least, that's how I use it. You're using Christian to mean one who has faith in Christ. Others might mean one who has formally entered the Church. Either way, the faithful in the Church should be baptized; and the baptized should profess & show faith.

10. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian

I know, I understand, and I agree. :)

But there is the teaching of baptismal regeneration, which I reject.

11. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Nicely said.

12. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Good question from the OP. And I think the answers are excellent.

...Scottish Monk

13. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    I'm reminded of Bishop Stott's comments that we often confuse the baptized with the regenerate, and that salvation can come before, during, or after baptism!;)

Jeff

Lowly Layman and Scottish Monk like this.
  14. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Well there was never "alone" that was added. Salvation is by faith through God's grace alone