Excommunication for false brethren?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by WilliamWalker, Oct 25, 2017.

1. WilliamWalker

WilliamWalker New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    High Church Anglican
    I see false Anglicans on TV all the time, they are SJW's trying to enforce their political ideology on the Church through the Synod. I hate it. :disgust: It makes me feel really scared and anxious about my religious view and upholding the true doctrine of the 1660 restoration. I am vilified by the media and state in Britain, and the Church is really my last refuge, where I can feel safe and like I am not alone. These people are taking this from me.

From removal of the book of common pray, to female clergy, to immoral marriage. It is all aimed and destroying the Anglican Church and true doctrine. What are other peoples feelings on this subject? Thank you. :)

Ide, Aidan, Tom and 3 others like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My brother, my feelings are the same. I hear that there is a new Anglican realignment happening in Great Britain: Bishop Andrew Lines was consecrated as the missionary bishop of Scotland, and I can certainly imagine a missionary bishop for England itself in the near future. Then you have men like Bishop Gavin Ashenden, the former chaplain to the Queen... Bishop Nazir-Ali, the Free Church of England... All these parties come from different origins but they are working together now toward a new Province. What are your thoughts about a new Province being formed that will be immune to the pressures of the heretics? The true doctrine of the 1660 Restoration is indeed the gold standard of Anglican orthodoxy that we are all striving for, in the US, the UK, and elsewwhere....

Peteprint and WilliamWalker like this.
  3. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Dear brother, what diocese do you live in? I worship in Rochester. There are many generals and soldiers gathering, preparing to lead the faithful through these very dark times in England. Regardless of what idiocy the CoE gets up to, believe me we are here, fighting inside and outside. Take heart, the Church will win.

WilliamWalker likes this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    What are SJW please?

5. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    A sort of pejorative that means "social justice warrior." Not usually a kind title.

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Social Justice Warriors, ie. people obsessed and crazed with 'pelvic issues' on the one hand and destroying traditional civilization and faithful Christianity on the other.

Aidan, Ide and WilliamWalker like this.
  7. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Basically a new iteration of the Red Guard in the West. They push '"tolerance" or some other vague notion of "equality" as the highest virtue for every conceivable situation and go to great efforts to enforce public conformity of their Leftist/Marxist ideology. They enjoy curbing free speech, suppressing traditional values, and any contrary opinions while castigating anyone who disagrees with them as a "bigot" or "Nazi". They may claim to be liberal, but are not genuine to true Liberalism in any capacity. Often given to petulant emotion and over-wrought outbursts when a "safe space" is "violated".

[​IMG]

anglican74 and Aidan like this.
  8. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with you completely. I don't live in England, but I am so sad with what is happening there. It is very frustrating and sad to see these things continue to demolish the church. Here in America we face similar problems and it is escalating rapidly. I would offer that even though it is hard we have to kindly, but openly, voice our opposition to such changes. I recently went to a extra church meeting/dinner and the question was brought up about what we struggle with in the church. I expressed my opposition to the LGBT agenda in the church and to women's ordination and it stifled the mood for sure. People mostly just wanted to talk about how pretty the liturgy is or "how we have to accept everyone" in the church. The leader of the discussion, who is a gay man, stopped speaking with me after I made my comments. But, while I understood it make him uncomfortable, I had to speak the truth. I tried to be as direct but respectful as possible to those who disagreed with me. I think it will be little things like that which will be helpful.

I think we also have to live true, virtuous lives when we take these stands. If we don't follow the guidance of the church in morals, prayer and belief, then what leg do we have to stand on? I think we need to use the ancient tools and traditions of the church to make a stand- daily prayer, attending the Eucharist, giving charity, regular confession etc.. Because we are not just fighting a political battle, but truly a spiritual battle. Is there a diocese or parish that you can connect with who aligns more with your views? I believe you may find several people on this site who can connect you to more resources.

I am not yet a member of the Anglican church for the reasons you listed, but I also feel called by God to make a stand. The Anglican church is part of my own ancestry- so I want to reconnect with it and see it flourish. Where can we keep running to? Just making smaller and smaller communions and churches? I think that even though things are hard right now, we can find a niche and work from there to resist the SJW theology being pushed on us.

I don't know if you are familiar with Jordan Peterson, but he is a Canadian professor who has been resisting the hostile takeover of our institutions in the West. He emphasizes speaking the truth- that in times like these speaking the truth is absolutely essential to resisting darkness.

Aidan and WilliamWalker like this.
  9. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    The definitions given here tell why I speak very little on "contentious issues"....

10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Pelvic issues. Lol

WilliamWalker and anglican74 like this.
  11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    These SJWs would be better employed doing something to help the homeless on their streets or the impoverished families dreading Christmas. The true SJW died a cruel death on an implement of torture as expiation for my sins

WilliamWalker and Dallas Rivera like this.
  12. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    They do, from personal experience.

13. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Anglican Church is distributed across the whole world and does not have a single point of failure. Therefore it is essentially indestructible. When some Provinces fail, the other provinces will re-evangelize them. The Anglican Communion is essentially the most stable denomination or Church in the world today. That may not feel like it when you're in one of the failing provinces and the clerics are succumbing to the Spirit of the World while betraying the sheep entrusted to them, and I don't blame you. My recommendation would be to align yourself with the re-evangelizing forces, perhaps go into ordained ministry if you're called for it, or have a secular job but be a financial backer behind the re-evangelization projects. There is a lot to do, and all of it is hopeful and optimistic.

14. WilliamWalker

WilliamWalker New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    High Church Anglican
    Are you an SJW? It is true they preach about how Anglicanism is just about helping the poor and homeless. However they are see this as the purpose of the Church. As Peter Hitchens say 'they have mistaken the welfare state for, the kingdom of heaven'. This seems to be all the Church does in Britain, complain about lack of refugee's and government spending. Rather then the Church itself undertaking to feed the poor and homeless, getting the government to do it and anti-Christian charities. They are undermining the role of the Church. Basically the SJW's don't want the Church practice what they preach.

Ide likes this.
  15. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Perhaps each of us should ask if we are an SJW? Each of us should have some level of concern for the equitable distribution of resources and opportunities. Each of us should reflect something of God's bias for the poor. Historically the Church has been in the mix (often in the lead) on a number of issues related including Education, Health, Slavery, Apartheid, and many issues.

I think it is true to say that in his day Jesus' message had a political edge but a mistake to think that the message was just political. There is a sense in which the Gospel must disturb the comfortable and comfort the disquieted.

There was a time when the Church was well resourced and sufficiently able to undertake all manner of tasks. Over time much of this has drifted to the state, for all manner of good reasons no doubt. We now find that the matter of schools of which the Church was a pioneer are now often a vehicle promoting anything outside the Christian message and increasingly the Christian message is being squeezed from schools. The same is true of health, relief of the poor and all manner of other initiatives.

Part of the Church's role in this new found relegation is to be the prophetic voice of national conscience in the nations.

Australia, like England, is girt by sea for the most part. That means in Australia we have not seen the mass migrations as Europe/Britain has, though we have had a significant issue with maritime arrivals, and how to deal with it. Each of those people are made in the image and after the likeness of God, and some of them are no doubt good people and quite likely some of them are not. The Government has a responsibility to protect the citizens and our borders, yet that does not given them the moral right to deny dignity food and shelter to those who arrive seeking asylum. I tire of those who see but one side of this issue, and demand that the Government receive accept and fund all who arrive without due diligence. They too of course ore the first to raise ire when something goes wrong as a result of that.

micah.jpg
    And we should also remember from one Corinthians 13.1 If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

16. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I wouldn't describe myself in that way, as I resent the term as being in almost every case being pejorative and dismissive. It's a caricature as well, and a near baseless one for most of the people it's attributed to. Not to say there aren't overly secular "Christians," but the vast majority of supposed "SJWs" aren't them.

17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Doesn't the Australian govt may a small island nation for interning immigrants?

18. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

SJW is a pejorative term by nature because of people's behavior. Their behavior is what gave birth to term- particularly during Gamergate. The pejorative is warranted because they are acting in a way that requires proper censure from rational people. I don't reward bad behavior and I call it as I see it.

If a person on the Left wants to have a measured, thoughtful conversation about a particular issue, for instance on economics, race, or immigration, I think that it is important. We should have conversations with people who disagree with us and try to work towards beneficial compromise in our communities. Though I consider myself to the Right of the political spectrum, I am a very strong advocate for environmentalism and animal rights. I'm sure some on the Right would disagree with me on these issues and want to put commerce first or find my concerns unimportant. That doesn't mean I'm going to scream at them and call them expletives because they disagree with me. I would try to present my point through discussion.. not spew vitriol over disagreements and try and prevent them from expressing their views.

But many progressives have fallen so far off the edge that even opposing their views is "hate speech". Don't agree with same sex marriage? You are a bigot. Do you oppose unfettered illegal immigration? You are a racist. On and on it goes. Just look at the behavior on college campuses- the infantilization of the student body is showing in the collapse of teaching the core of Western culture and virtues. I was formerly in a graduate program that was full of this mind-set and dropped out. So their behavior influenced the shape of my academic career. I chose to leave a program because I was genuinely embarrassed to see people who cared more about trigger warnings on assignments than the literary works they were reading. I won't put my time and money into a system that perpetuates this nonsense. For example, Yale has recently changed it's English curriculum due to these outrageous demands because reading the works of white English poets in the English language was "actively harmful".

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/micahrate/2017/10/27/a-shakespearean-tragedy-at-yale-n2401351

If a person is on the left and wants to have an open, frank discussion about the issues and not resort to name-calling, then I welcome any dialog. I won't stand for them being bullies and screaming to stifle others opinions. We may not agree in the end and part ways, but I am willing to speak with those who disagree with me.

Andy, anglican74 and Aidan like this.
  19. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

I think that many people now look to the state and other NGOs to do their charity for them. I had a discussion with a progressive about this once and I shared that I didn't want to pay taxes to the government for "charity"- as I have to pay taxes or face punishment, there is no virtue gained in giving. He felt that it was unchristian to resist higher taxes. I pointed out that the money could be used to feed people, pave a road or drop bombs in Afghanistan. We don't choose when we give over our taxes, but when we keep that money we can decide according t o our own conscience how to give. People have the illusion that they know what their money is spent on in the government, but don't have a clue. When I choose to donate my time and/or money, I have to make a sacrifice as an individual. I have to give something up to others to help them directly. People are far more comfortable just paying taxes and thinking that "someone else" will take care of society.

Aidan likes this.
  20. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Well said sister, very erudite