Eucharistic Discipline

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Ide, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

I'm interested in hearing what type of Eucharistic discipline others here may follow. If I am to have the Eucharist in the morning, then I will fast from midnight until after service. In the evening, I fast for two hours before service. I find that fasting helps me approach the Eucharist with a refreshed and light body.

I also recite the prayers Before Receiving Communion and After Receiving Communion each time. These prayers remind me that I should be making room to meet Christ in the Eucharist and not be consumed with worries and petitions.

66. Before Receiving Communion
    Be present, be present, O Jesus, our great High Priest, as you
    were present with your disciples, and be know to us in the
    breaking of bread; who live and reign with the Father and
    the Holy Spirit, now and for ever. Amen.

67. After Receiving Communion
    O Lord Jesus Christ, who in a wonderful Sacrament hast left
    unto us a memorial of thy passion: Grant us, we beseech
    thee, so to venerate the sacred mysteries of thy Body and
    Blood, that we may ever perceive within ourselves the fruit of
    thy redemption; who livest and reignest with the Father and
    the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Does anyone have other suggestions or observances to share?

nkygreg, Lowly Layman and Paddry like this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I used to fast from the last meal the night before.

My parish uses the '79 bcp which left out the Prayer of Humble Access. So I pray it silently:

WE do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose property is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his Body, and our souls washed through his most precious Blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

Ide and Anne like this.
  3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Fasting from the night before is ideal, and several hours before an evening communion is good as well. Sounds like we have the same Eucharistic discipline. Though no longer Orthodox, I love this prayer from the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom:

I believe and confess, Lord, that You are truly the Christ, the Son of the living God, who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the first. I also believe that this is truly Your pure Body and that this is truly Your precious Blood. Therefore, I pray to You, have mercy upon me, and forgive my transgressions, voluntary and involuntary, in word and deed, known and unknown. And make me worthy without condemnation to partake of Your pure Mysteries for the forgiveness of sins and for life eternal. Amen.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I fast from the last meal the night before. Evening communion: it depends what time, but same idea....at least a few hours.

My parish uses the Prayer of Humble Access mentioned above, but I do some spiritual housekeeping some hours before.

Peteprint likes this.
  5. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    I'm unable to fast due to taking medication in the morning. However, I do eat early enough that 2-3 hours have elapsed prior to receiving the Blessed Sacrament.

Prior to leaving home to attend The Mass I pray the Preparation for Holy Communication. Upon arrival at my Church, I pray Private Prayers Before Mass. After receiving the Blessed Sacrament and retuning to my seat, I pray Private Prayers After Mass. When I return home later in the afternoon I pray the Thanksgiving After Communion. All of these devotions are from St. Augustine's Prayer Book.

Anne, Peteprint and Lowly Layman like this.
  6. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    Please let me know the source of those quotes. I think they are beautiful.

7. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    This prayer humbles me to the core..I can never imagine receiving without saying it. Thanks God we still have it in our version.