Episcopal Church Supports Occupy Wall St Movement

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Sean611, May 1, 2012.

1. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    This isn't something "new," but the Episcopal News website has an article in which it heavily implies that all Episcopalians support the Occupy Movement. Sometimes I wonder if the church has completely lost its mind? Members of this "occupy movement" have been arrested for violence, including battery, murder, rape, vandalism, and every property crime imaginable. Just today, "occupiers" tried to blow up a bridge in Ohio, sent envelopes with white substances in them to bank officials, and vandalized small businesses and cars for a 5 block stretch in San Fran.

It's not my intention to force my political beliefs on anyone, what concerns me is that a Christian church supports this kind of movement. Thankfully, most of the comments in the comment section are filled by Episcopalians that are outraged that the church endorses this movement. I posted a link to a news article that covered the violence caused today by the occupy movement and it was removed lol.

I'm getting tired of posting negative news in regards to TEC, but all Episcopalians have the right to be informed of the actions of their church.

http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/...upport-as-occupy-movement-prepares-for-may-1/

Note - Another poster on the Episcopal News calls himself "Sean", this is not me :)

2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Sean,
    Is there no end to blanket statements about Episcopalians? I posted a short comment on the site.

Thanks for letting us know. We need to stay informed.

Peace,
    Anna

3. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    The leadership, priests, Bishops, and laity like to brag that the Episcopal Church is a "big tent" with many diverse beliefs about theology and politics (this is true). According to TEC leadership, they celebrate having liberals, conservativs, and moderates in their church (not true if you're conservative or moderate). They say, "there is room for all in TEC." However, where are the stories celebrating their conservative Bishops? Conservative laity and priests? How about moderate laity, priests, and Bishops? Positive stories on these people are nowhere to be found, unless, they are in 100% "lockstep" with the national church. One Episcopal priest said, in 2009 after the diocese of Pitt left, "with the conservatives out of the way, things will be much easier now." (this quote comes from Creedal Christian's blog) Sadly, "moderate" is the new conservative in our church.

Update--After the events of May 5th regarding OWS and the posts on their article, they have moved this controversial article off of the main page. Finally, some sense!

4. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Sean,
    Quite a few of the comments were from Episcopalians who do not support OW.

As I've said many times, and on several forums, TEC is essentially being hijacked. As you noted, where is the coverage of orthodox Anglicans? I really don't even know what "conservative" and "moderate" mean anymore. It seems like everything is upside down. When I read articles about the "Apostolic faith" and the "Episcopate" in TEC, it seems these terms are being redefined.

I do know that social media is a powerful thing. So, maybe we can check for articles that require comments from the orthodox standpoint.

Much prayer is needed.

Peace,
    Anna