Episcopal Church Ordained Transgender Deacon

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Anna Scott, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Public Defender Woodall ordained as Episcopal deacon
    Written by Lenore Rutherford, The Union Democrat March 12, 2012 12:09 pm

"A Tuolumne County woman was ordained as an Episcopalian deacon at a Saturday ceremony in Stockton, joining a small but growing group of transgender clergy members. . . .
    . . . .Woodall, diagnosed with a gender-identity disorder, began appearing in court and openly dressing as a woman in 2004, and had surgery to complete the transition from man to woman in 2005."
    Link: http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Local-News/Public-Defender-Woodall-ordained-as-Episcopal-deacon

I found a thread on the Catholic Answers Forum about this article. I can't vouch for the uniondemocrat.com website containing the article, but the article is important news for TEC.

Comments?

Peace,
    Anna

2. Anna Scott

Adam,
    Great comments.

I love my Parish, and there the Gospel is truthfully and faithfully proclaimed. I'm surrounded by people living out their faith in service to God, community, and beyond.

---And you are right, we can't carry the weight of the entire Anglican world. That is a weight to place before our Lord in prayer for a return to truth within Anglicanism and all of Christendom.

Of course the media will concentrate and sensationalize whatever sells; and many do not understand that not all Anglicans are going down this liberal path.

It is, indeed, a time for prayer.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

Jerome and Sean611 like this.
  3. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I'd like to hear the theological argument for transgender people (or maybe I wouldn't lol). Gay christians believe that God doesn't make mistakes and since they are born gay, God must approve of their lifestyle. Well, if God makes a person a man or a women, then they should stay a man or a women using the theological arguments that the gay community uses. Afterall, if a person were really a man trapped in a women's body, then wouldn't God have got it right when he made them? It really boggles the mind....these poor people clearly suffer from mental illness and instead of offering them help, the church causes them harm by enabling their mental illness.

Further, the leadership of TEC would say that God is love and mercy and that we should love and show mercy to ALL people (and I agree with this 100%). However, where traditional Anglicans and TEC disagree would be how love is shown. Sometimes showing someone true love is telling them "no" or telling them that their lifestyle is harmful and sinful. That's not "judging" them, it's loving them. For example, parents that truly love and care about their children will show them right from wrong and correct them when they error. The "love" that TEC shows is not love at all in my eyes, it's enabling sinful behavior and it's harmful.

Jerome and Anna Scott like this.
  4. Anna Scott

Sean,
    Excellent points. Sadly, showing love with the truth is now considered "bigotry" by many. So, it's a tough road for orthodox Christians dealing with this issue.

The other part of this issue, is that many of same sex affection or transgender"identity" are not celibate--even those being ordained. They are having sex, often living together, outside the Sacrament of Marriage. So, why is this O.K.? I'm divorced and celibate. That is what God expects of me. It's not an easy road; but since I have no intention of marrying again, I must yield to what God expects of me. I could argue all day long that it's not fair, but that doesn't change what God expects of me. I'm not asking the Church to change to accommodate me. Yet, I'm really not hearing this as part of the discussion. Of course, the liberals are working on blessing same sex unions; but then what happens to the Sacrament of Marriage? Are we not Sacramental Christians? Are the Sacraments something we can change to suit our own purposes?

Peace,
    Anna

5. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Exactly! Nobody ever said that being a Christian would be easy, but so many Christians and Christian leaders, on both sides at times, are trying to make it as simple and easy as possible to be a Christian. Whether it be the "prosperity" gospel or just doing away with sin altogether.

One of the interesting things i've noticed about many Episcopalians is that they say the main reasons why they joined this church is because it is the "most in line with MY political beliefs and MY beliefs on social issues." Whatever happened to choosing a church because they preach and follow the Gospel and honor God's will and his word? Unfortunately, our culture is all about "me" and what "I" want and believe and not what God wants...sadly, this attitude is flourishing in many Christian churches.

Jerome and Anna Scott like this.
  6. Anna Scott

Sean,
    You are so right. Our Rector, in one of his classes, talked about this very climate of "What can the Church do for me?" when we should be asking, "What can I do for the Church? How can I serve Christ?" He also stressed the fact that during our worship, we are not the "audience." We should not expect to to be entertained. The Holy Trinity is the "audience."

The Southern Baptist Church I left, had grown to 12,000 members---a true "Texas style" mega Church. I began to feel like I was attending a spectator sport. At that time, I knew nothing about Liturgical Worship. The first time I visited our Episcopal Church, I was blown away. I didn't know such a worship existed where all intentions, prayers, and actions are centered around the Holy Trinity, and the Holy Eucharist.

Indeed, we are in an age of "self." Narcissism is celebrated. We are lead to believe Christians should expect wealth, perfect health, and a lack of suffering. Ministers are getting rich selling books to convince us of the same.

When you think about it, this climate is perfect for acceptance of life styles and beliefs outside the Commandments of Christ.

Anna

7. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I had almost the same experience as you! I actually grew up in the Jehovah's Witness faith, fortunately both my parents "woke" up and left that nightmare. My immediate post teen years were spent as an agnostic (mainly due to the teachings of the Watchtower, a cult can be a devastating force!). The next stop was a thriving Southern Baptist church. However, like you, once I saw the liturgy in "action" at a Lutheran church I knew that the liturgical church was for me. :)

8. Anna Scott

Sean,
    It's interesting, because sometimes we don't know what is right, until we bump into it.

Anna

Sean611 likes this.