Douay-Rheims Only Movement

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Religious Fanatic, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
  2. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Lol. Of course there is.

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Are these like the Latin Rite fundamentalists?

4. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    For the record, I actually did the entire entry for wiki on the DRO movement based on what I know of their arguments and what I've seen of them online. It is exactly as I wrote. I can understand their approach, but like the KJV-only people, it's absurd. Ironically enough, a lot of the IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptists) cults that teach KJV-only talk about the necessity of an accurate english translation being divinely guided and handed down through history since the bible first appeared in that language. Thing is, they reject apostolic succession, and it would make more sense for the Anglican church to hold that view about the KJV because of their theology and catholicity, yet the actual Anglican view is more modest, that the KJV has a special honor, but isn't considered the be all, end all of english translations. I do admit though: even though Tyndale/Coverdale, the hideous Great/Bishop's Bible translations, and the mediocre Douay appeared earlier, I do think the KJV put the icing on the cake by taking everything good about those and throwing away everything that was wrong. You could say it is a work of the Holy Spirit that the KJV has been given primacy in the English-speaking world as a literary standard for the bible. What is the first is not always the best when it comes to renderings of scripture. But, the KJV was certainly the most refined, and if we're talking about traditional bibles where the literary quality is part of the appeal, then the KJV is pretty much the only antiquated bible worth going back to, as many others such as the ASV and Darby bibles were largely forgotten.

The Douay is not a favorite bible of mine, but it has one unique purpose for me as a bible student: it is a literal world-for-word rendering of the Latin Vulgate, so you can see how it differs from other manuscripts without actually having to learn Latin, but aside from that, I would never make it my primary bible.

5. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    Well, the official Bible for the Roman Church is the Latin Vulgate so I guess that makes sense.