Dolce & Gabbana aren’t backing down from pro-family stand [Crux]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Apr 11, 2017.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Dolce & Gabbana aren’t backing down from pro-family stand

Claire Giangravè | April 8, 2017
    Editorial Assistant

920x920-1.jpg
    Dolce and Gabbana 2018 fall/winter show featured families and children on the catwalk. (Credit: Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty Images.)

Famed Italian fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana came out as a gay years ago, but that hasn't stopped them from being strong defenders of the family and marriage, and they've been willing to brave some fairly sharp criticism from within and without the fashion world. To those critics, Gabbana has a simple message: "Go to Hell!"

ROME - Italian fashion designer moguls Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana are no strangers to criticism. In late February, the duo made the family the star of their runway, staying true to their Italian roots in family, femininity, and religion.

Plenty of times they have had to wrestle with contrary Hollywood beliefs, but to all those who don’t agree, Gabbana says simply: “Go to hell!”

Dolce was born in the 3,500-soul town of Polizzi Generosa on the Italian island of Sicily. When he was seven he worked in the shop with his father, a tailor. Gabbana was born in Milan, where for a while he cleaned toilets and washed floors to help his mother who worked at a laundry service.

The two met in 1980 and began a voyage that led them to becoming one of, if not the most influential and quintessential clothing brands of the 2000s.

The duo, now amicably separated, came out as gay years ago, and since then were the poster children for homosexual self-made-men. This was until 2015, when the designers spoke candidly to the Italian magazine Panorama about traditional family, religion, and gay marriage.

“Family is not a passing fad,” Gabbana said in the interview before Dolce chimed in. “We did not invent the family. The Holy Family made it into an icon, but it’s not a question of religion or social status: when you are born, you have a father and a mother,” Dolce said.

“This is why I am not convinced by those I call the chemistry kids, the synthetic children. Surrogates and semen chosen from a catalogue,” he added.

When the interviewer asked whether they had ever wanted to be parents, Gabbana answered promptly “yes, I would have a child right away.” Dolce, the more conservative of the two - let’s not forget that he comes from the south - took a different position.

“I am gay, I cannot have a child. I believe that one cannot have everything in life, if it’s not there it means it’s not meant to be. It’s important to deprive oneself of something,” Dolce said and continued, “Life has a natural path, there are some things that should not be changed. And one of these is family.”

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/04/08/dolce-gabbana-arent-backing-pro-family-stand

alphaomega and Aidan like this.