Divine providence in diaries of legendary explorer, Sir Ernest Shackleton

Discussion in 'Church History' started by Scottish Knight, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sir Ernest Shackleton, the famous Antartictic explorer and a member of the Church of England, is famous especially for his 1914 transantarctic expedition.

This story is often held as one of those great human accomplishments - the power of the human will to overcome.

His ship got caught in the ice just offshore Antarctica and sank (but with no loss of life). For almost two months they trudged through the ice before it started to break up and they could use the lifeboats. After rowing five days in open top boats in freezing temperatures they made it to an uninhabited island. Making a covering for one of the boats he and 5 others decided to sail to a whaling station in South Georgia 800 miles away. 15 days later they reached South Georgia but at the wrong end. Three of the men were too exhausted to carry on so Shackleton and the two remaining tried to cross the moutain peaks to the other side. No one had crossed them before. they miraculously reached the whaling station and not one member of the expedition perished.

But there is a part of the story not so well known. In Shackleton's memoir he records this testimony:

"When I look back at those days I have no doubt that Providence guided us, not only across those snowfields, but across the storm-white sea that separated Elephant Island from our landing-place on South Georgia. I know that during that long and racking march of 36 hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers of South Georgia it seemed to me often that we were four, not three. I said nothing to my companions on the point, but afterwards Worsley said to me, "Boss, I had a curious feeling on the march that there was another person with us". Crean confessed to the same idea. One feels "the dearth of human words, the roughness of mortal speech" in trying to describe things intangible, but a record of our journeys would be incomplete without a reference to a subject very near to our hearts"
    ("South" by Ernest Shackleton,1919)

I thought this was an interesting part of the story that deserves to be better known

Incense and Scottish Monk like this.
  2. KatieR123B

KatieR123B New Member

Wow, thanks for sharing this...

3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Incense and Scottish Knight like this.