Discipline in marriage

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Truth, and Ethics' started by UK Anglican, Apr 7, 2013.

1. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Ok so this is going to be contraversal, but I was recently reading a christian article that suggested that the husband has the right to punish and discipline his wife if she is disobeidant and it gave various stripture verses to back up there claim (although I must admit I can't remember the verses as I was not in a position to write them down), so I wondered what people on here thought, is it acceptable to a certain extent or should all discipline be considered abuse?

I would like to add that in no way does the article in question full in line with my own beliefs, I just wondered what other people thought about the subject.

2. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I think it barbarous to even contemplate. I had a strong minded mother, who like Prince Rupert, " Wouldn't want of her way!" My father never in all the years from their marriage, never even lifted a finger towards her. Funnily enough my lady wife would always want the last word and in a flash of temper, actually resorted to violence when we were gardening once, but I never retaliated. Being of a saintly disposition that is. Ours is a religion of love and usually we eschew violence at least towards wives, if not always children. Though I'm not a pacifist!

Lowly Layman and luke like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

My wife is my partner, not my child nor my slave. Quite frankly, if I even thought about "punishing" her, she'd probably remind that I had to sleep sometime but that there were no guarantees that would have to wake up. Lol.

4. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Christ fulfilled the Old Law in Himself. That which is not repeated as writ in the New Law is not assumed by us. Since the New Testament only asks wives to be subject to their husbands (and husbands to love their wives), we see no warrant for punishment.

The school-master's rod has been replaced by the gentle shepherd's crook.

Celtic1 and Lowly Layman like this.