Differences between Anglican and Roman Catholicism

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Scottish Monk, Sep 4, 2012.

1. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Dave,

1. Origines Ecclesiastcae. J.Bingham. Vols 1/10
    2. Of the Church. 5Vols. Dean Field.
    3. Ecclesia Restaurata. Peter Heylin. 2 vols.
    4 England & Rome . Dunbar.Ingram.
    5. Apostolical Jurisdiction.
    6, Ecclesiastical Hisrtory of Great Britain. Jeremy Collier. Vols 1/5.

The 39 Articles were simply the product of two Provinces of the Church Catholique designed to cater for problems at the time of the Reformation. They have to be seen today as secondary to the Seven Ecumenical Councils whose origin was the world wide Church,.The articles were designed as a mark in the sands beyond which the wild men of the time both Anglo papalist and Calvinist were not to tread.

The Church in Britain was most certainly ,'orthodox,' and not only from 604. Christianity was here a lot earlier than that,according to the Medieval Councils, Basle etc, Catholic Christianity was present shortly after the Crucifixion, Rome claims that , the Councils, ,(4 of them,) were ecumenical, we don't admit them as such. S. Dorotheus of Tyre, S.M. claims that the brother of Christ, S.Simon Zelote, brought the faith to Britain, whilst the Britons themselves claimed that the Catholic Church was here during the last years of Tiberius, which was about 37 AD.. The Bishop according to Orthodoxy and other historians was S.Aristobulos. The real problem for us is not so much when the Church and faith arrived, but when the the bottom fell out of the organisation? Orthodoxy , the true faith, has never departed from the Church in this country, can they give an instance, time or date? Certainly in 1054, there was a break with Rome, but Rome was no more than the Primate of the West, virtually a political appointment. England has never been fully subject to the Bishop of Rome. It has never split with either Orthodoxy or Rome in fact. They insisted, the English, that the Bishop of Rome had no jurisdiction outside Rome, or in another bishop's see. That's the Canon of the Councils and the Catholic Church. Even the date 1054 AD, is a non starter, because right up to the fall of Constantinople there was some kind of unity between Constantinople and Rome, certainly in the two hundred years of the Crusades there was unity in the Holy land, as far as I, can see.

All the Books listed are obtainable from Google Books. Sorry i can't give the urls, it's beyond me!

Lowly Layman and Scottish Monk like this.
  2. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    highchurchman...

I always receive much from your posts--exactly as you post them. Please keep them coming.

...Scottish Monk

3. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Slightly off topic, but the New Zealand government doesn't seem to realise there are Roman Catholics.
    In our census in the optional religion question you can tick Anglican or Catholic amongst others. I wrote to the Minister of Internal Affairs helpfully pointing out that Anglican are Catholics and he may want to put in the option Roman Catholic. He politely wrote back saying he would send my concerns on to the Minister in charge of the Census (who would have thought such a minister would exist) the honourable Maurice Williamson. He in turn said he would pass it on to the person in charge of running the census.
    The census came and Catholic and not Roman Catholic appeared. So to upset them I ticked both boxes. My only regret as an Agnostic was to tick the Christianity box with arrows to the denominations.
    Can't us non Christian, Agnostics also belong to the Anglican "club":think:

Spherelink and Stalwart like this.
  4. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Touchy subject on this board. But ,in my opinion, you can't be an Anglican unless you believe in Revelation, Scripture and Councils. Some claim otherwise, that's their business, but it makes them not as wholesome, or seemly as the original.
    Mind you I admire your stand on the matter, i must admit.

5. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Highchurchman, I plead ignorance and bow to your superior knowledge of Anglican history, but I found that statement a bit puzzling. In trying to research the findings of the Councils, most of what I've found is vague and/or very general in scope, with the exception of the Trinity and Christ's deity. How is that more authoritative than the specifics of the articles?

Jeff

6. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    The Ecumenical Councils have no inherent authority in Anglicanism and are only authoritative when they agree with the truth of Scripture.

Councils are not infallible and Anglicanism only accepts the first four general councils.

Celtic1, Stalwart and Toma like this.
  7. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Men justify only those councils which happen to coincide with their prejudices & wishes. That is why the Scripture must be our non-negotiable rule, for the synods of men are so wavering.

The first four Lateran Councils are a good example of the chaos wrought by the council-obsession in medieval Roman religion. Not only did valid bishops cast votes, but increasingly abbots of monastic foundations were invited. These men, not at all in the episcopal dignity, were allowed to vote - but they were all beholden to the Pope, and were fanatics of his cause. In Lateran IV, 400 bishops were present, and ~900 abbots. We can predict how the doctrinal votes went. What corruption!

Old Christendom and Celtic1 like this.
  8. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

9. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Which is rubbish! Read C.B.Moss's Books on the Councils. Further the Church only uses them as measures to interpret Christ's Revelation. Four are Christological in that they refer to Christ's relation ship with the Trinity , with The lady Mary, the Incarnation and so on. Two are explanatory and one deals with our relationship with the Saints, the Holy people of God.

10. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    [/quote]Highchurchman, I plead ignorance and bow to your superior knowledge of Anglican history, but I found that statement a bit puzzling. In trying to research the findings of the Councils, most of what I've found is vague and/or very general in scope, with the exception of the Trinity and Christ's deity. How is that more authoritative than the specifics of the articles?

11. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Highchurchman, can you please learn how to format? Your posts are unintelligible and horribly difficult to read.

Toma likes this.
  12. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Hackney? You are being peevish?
    Well at least the substance is correct and stems from study, rather than wishful thinking!

13. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Wonderfully said....I'd never encountered another online community defend the catholicity of Anglicanism as much as this board!

Toma likes this.
  14. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You're certainly welcome here. One of the primary goals of the community is showing forth Anglicanism as a true church & community of Christians within the holy Catholic Church founded by our Lord & Saviour.