Crucifix versus Cross

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Scottish Monk, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The early Christians moved their day of worship from the sabbath to the Sunday to distance themselves from the Jewish tradition. Why do you think the Seven Day Adventists worship on the sabbath?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What do you mean?

Proof?

I don't know, I'm not in the habit of explaining or understanding heretical fringe movements that appeared within the last 100 years.

Anyhow I think you mean they worship on a saturday, because the Sabbath is the last day of the week, i.e. Sunday, which is why we keep our sabbath by going to church on Sundays, and Sunday has always and ever been the day of sabbath.

Old Christendom likes this.
  3. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    It is early Christian history 101 and I can even remember sermons over the year about how it did change from the Jewish sabbath to the first day of the week. They did this to celebrate the risen Christ on the 3rd day, if you dig into the history of the Daily Office you see mention of it there as well.

Do a google search it also brings up heaps of references to Christian worship on the first day of the week instead of the seventh.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What would I do a search for? I am genuinely interested and will look where you point.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

While their is some ambiguity about when and why Christians started worshiping on Sunday, there is no doubt that from creation to Resurrection Day, the Sabbath day meant Saturday, the seventh day of the week: "By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done." But early on, the practice of worshipping on Sunday, the Lord's Day, seperate from the Sabbath, began: "On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight." Acts 20:7
    Paul also directed the Corinthians to follow this practice, which he established with the Galations: "Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come" 1 Cor 16:1-2

Check out this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Day it has good footnotes.

6. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Sure glad you are interested in doing some research on this...

a google search of 'origins of sunday worship' brings up a number of links

here is a good place to start:

http://www.churchhistory101.com/feedback/sunday-worship.php

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Nice source Gordon!

Gordon likes this.
  8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The is also a great series of podcasts on iTunes that look at Church History to the Reformation and Post Reformation history. Search on Church History Survey I and Church History Survey II.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    But when those same physical movements are to an icon, it's suddenly idol worship? Also, you never answered my question as to your communion and many others using a crucifix. Is your communion apostate in your opinion? Why or why not?

Jeff

10. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    The Anglican church where I attend mass, which is the only one where I live, has no crucifixes, nor priestesses, so my conscience is at ease.

Mercy likes this.
  11. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    You're obviously dodging the entire question. Are you claiming that not a single parish in your Diocese/communion uses a crucifix?

Gordon and Lowly Layman like this.
  12. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    LOL methinks a little trolling may be afoot....

Pirate likes this.
  13. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    I said that the church I attend, which is the only Anglican church in the island, doesn't have them. It's not on British soil, it's part of the Diocese in Europe.

If the church in question had crucifixes, I'd not likely attend mass there.

Mercy likes this.
  14. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Again dodging the question. Your silence says very clearly that your Diocese indeed condones the use of a crucifix. Thank you!

Jeff

15. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    For the record I come from the Diocese in Europe too.

Let me say that many of our congregations are forced to use RC chapels --as Puerto Mogán, in Gran Canaria--. Our congregation in the captial of the island does have a simple cross; though the Good Shepherd is on a stained glass window.

16. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think both cross and crucifix have there places, but I have heard that in some churches people prefer a simple plain cross because of adults who feel uneasy around them and because of children being present, it is not easy to explain to a child who is scared of a crucifix what it represents, and in some places the cruifixes do look very realistic espeacially if they are large and in a prominant place.

Magistos and Scottish Knight like this.