Cross references

Discussion in 'Technical Assistance' started by AnglicanAgnostic, Apr 20, 2013.

1. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    If I look at Wikipedia whether it be about priests or poodles, there is often a blue word that can be clicked on which takes you to an article about that subject. Is it possible to have a link arrangement so that If I don't know what "T.E.C." means (for example) I can click on it and be taken to a short explanation. I for one would find this usefull. I haven't been able to find the book "Anglicanism for Dummies" yet.:) .

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting idea, I like.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Please explain this further, you would like us to edit wikipedia?

4. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Well no. What I suggest is you have a list of definitions on the forum somewhere. Maybe just a thread called definitions and members can write a simple explanation of the term . Say someone writes an explanation of what "T.E.C." stands for "TEC" would then be a "special" word and when someone writes elsewhere about TEC it automatically gets put in say blue writing and if you click on it it goes via a link to the forums explanation. It would be all in house in an analogous way to how wikipedia works.

5. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    That sounds really intriguing as there are lots of words being mentioned here that i don't know very well

6. Simon Magus

Simon Magus Member

This idea sounds like something that's probably impossible to implement, but I agree that it would certainly be helpful. I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Protestant terminology myself. I mistook "Neo-orthodoxy" to be referring to a yen for Eastern Christianity. Yikes. Turns out it's a prominent school of modern theology.

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Since Simon Magus brings up neo-orthodoxy that is a good point: the term has little to do with Anglicanism and yet would it be included in the list of definitions? A complete christian dictionary has to be outside the aims of our site.

8. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I'm not proposing a comprehensive Christian dictionary but just a list of terms that are unfamiliar to most people that would look at this forum, and are also terms that are quite often ferered to on this forum. I would suspect the list would be between 20 and 40 examples. Neo orthodoxy wouldn't be on the list as it is not often refered to, and with "one off" technical terms, people should be expected to do their own homework.

9. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Neo Orthodoxy or Neo Anglicanism , either or both of them are entities, if that's the right word, that need explaining. I agree with the initial proposal.