Continuing churches sign concordat of full communion [AnglicanInk]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Oct 9, 2017.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Congress of st Louis.jpg

Continuing churches sign concordat of full communion

06 Oct 2017
    Author: George Conger

Four continuing church groups have signed a concordat of full communion at the close of a joint synod today.

On 6 Oct 2017 the primates of the Anglican Catholic Church, the Anglican Province of America, the Anglican Church of America, and the Diocese of the Holy Cross signed an agreement pledging to seek “full, institutional and organic union with each other”.

The four continuing churches affirmed their common doctrines and disciplines set forth in the 1977 Affirmation made at the Congress of St Louis, (pictured) the traditions of the undivided catholic church, and the seven ecumenical councils of the catholic church. They further recognized the orders of the clergy of each of the jurisdictions and acknowledged a common episcopal succession arising from the Denver Congress of 1978.

The affirmation opened the door to reunion with other Anglican groups who share their core principles.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://www.anglican.ink/article/continuing-churches-sign-concordat-full-communion

Mark, Lowly Layman and Anne like this.
  2. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Thank you! Does anyone know if there was a reason given by the APCK for not attending?

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    And the UENCA, with whom the ACC has declared to be in full communion a few years ago...
    It is amazing to see all these disparate strands merging together!

Anne likes this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Anglicanism is a very specific belief system as shown in the BCP. Isn't it a pity that there are so many strands, even among continuing Anglican churches which basically all teach the same things?

5. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Having various strands is, I have found, quite wonderful - varieties of good are the natural way of things. Evil can't help but be the same boring repetitive sins every time.

Being in communion with each other is a different issue, which is why I am very happy to see this news!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    I asked about the APCK. I was told they chose not to attend. They did send an observer. I do know a parish of the APCK I worship with when I travel to visit family had no clue the Synod was occurring. The priest and deacon were surprised they had not been told by their Bishop.

Bishop Iker of the ACNA was also an observer. Sadly my Presiding Bishop, Bishop Sutton, who was going was not able to attend at the last minute.
    I am sure he and Bishop Iker will be talking. Their Diocese overlap each other in Texas and Bishop Sutton has given "excess" priest to Bishop Iker when he was in need of priests. Two priest I know left the REC and are now with Bishop Iker. The REC also gave the APA at least one "extra" priest they just happened to have.

As to the UECNA. Don't know. Have my idea. The UECNA has been invited to other conferences, such as the one held by the Anglo-Catholics in the ACNA. The 4 Continuum Churches who had this Synod usually attend. I know the ACC and APA attended the last one and usually are given a forum to speak. Per ArchBishop Robinson facebook page the UECNA is invited to these events but choose not to attend. The reason, "too catholic".

Since the 4 Churches represented in the Synod are Anglo-Catholic I can see the UECNA not attending.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

7. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I used to be a member of a Facebook group that involved the Continuing churches. Bishop Robinson and the UECNA are extremely low church and hostile to the Anglo-Catholic movement in general. At one point there was a discussion in the group regarding systematic theology works by Anglican writers. I don't remember if it was the works by Claude Moss or of Francis Hall that had been mentioned, but Bishop Robinson made a comment about "tossing them into the trash." I am a member of the Society of King Charles the Martyr (USA), and Bishop Robinson made derogatory remarks about Charles I as well. I am surprised that any of the Anglo-Catholic bodies have anything to do with UECNA honestly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Mark likes this.
  8. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This was known to be on the horizon by the bishops and canons of various jurisdictions for at least two years. Virtue and Conger/Kallsen even covered it with a brief note around the time it first came out from behind closed doors and then seem to have forgotten about it until this spring. The long development of this has led to numerous meditations if one knows where to look. In the case of Bp. Robinson (UECNA), he has expressed himself from time to time at his Old Highchurchman Blog (http://theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com/). To summarize, hopefully not poorly, he is averse to the Anglican Missal and seven ecumenical councils being normative.

As for the APCK, they were working through a leadership vacuum when this first developed. Even if that had not been the case, +Paul Hewett (DHC) always had a strong aversion to James Provence (former APCK archbishop of questionable character). In fact, he essentially splintered off most of the old Atlantic Diocese of APCK and eventually formed it into DHC after the consecration of Provence.

This is all typical of the squabbles within the Continuing churches. That some semblance of unity has been achieved is astounding. It required some sacrifice on all sides: whether old grudges, feigned prestige or something else. I am curious to see how or if this will have any impact at the ground level. One of the unmentionable secrets of this movement is that many of the parishes are not sustainable as currently composed. Will parishes that were in some way competing with each other in the same city unite to make one sustainable parish? This is the type of thing that will develop -or not- going forward.

Peteprint likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Peteprint,

I am very much an Anglo-Catholic, or Catholic depending on your view. I assist an UECNA parish. The Bishop in charge of this parish once told me Anglo-Catholics were the problem with the Anglican Church. He now is accepting and happy I am assisting the parish. I also assist an ACC parish.
    The priest at that parish has been a priest since the early 80's in the continuing church. He told me recently that enough of the old guard has died to allow this to happen and when more of them go to their reward (or just deserts as he says) the continuum will move forward. Yea, a few hardcore fringe groups and individuals will refuse, but will wither on the vine.

Also, understand the PNCC is a influence on the Continuum. These 4 jurisdictions are interested in communion with the PNCC. The PNCC told them to get their houses in order and show some unity. Then closer ties can be discusses. At least what a couple of Diocese Bishops etc have told me.

There are two continuing parishes in my town. Per an ACC priest I know.....a few more funerals on the episcopal and priestly level before full unity. The two Continuing priests in my home town will need to go to their reward and I can see the two parishes joining. Or maybe just one who has been a very negative but powerful force in this area.

I know many priest and laity who are tired of the dis-unity. The people of the 4 jurisdictions represented in Atlanta appear to be joyful and eager to move forward. Fr Hart, ACC and has a facebook page on the continuum, talked about spontaneous out breaks of song when the documents were sign. Appears there were up to 1000 people there. Sizeable number for the continuum and a very good response.

Pray the journey continues.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Anne, Shane R and Peteprint like this.