Considering EO (or less likely, RCC)

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Neasag, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Brother Stalwart,

I have talked to REC priests in the past and have been very impressed by them. The REC seems like a wonderful church, unfortunately there are none close to me. And of course, they are in the ACNA. But I have nothing but good things to say about the REC.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Brother LL,

I have considered the APA but there are none near me. Their website does list ACA parishes in Southern California, but none here in San Diego. I might still contact them nonetheless.

Anne and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian

Brother John,

I agree.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    My parish is as catholic as you can without a Pope and I like it.
    But not having a unified theology seems to be a huge issue. It creates divisions that constantly fracture the anglican world. There seems to be no reunion in the future and just more pieces breaking away doing there own things.

For the record mine is a parish of the Anglican Province of Christ the King.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Brother Lowly Layman,

It looks like I might be entering the APA. I am in contact with their Suffragan Bishop of the Eastern U.S., Bishop Jones.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Amen. I have had almost the exact experience myself.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I dont know how I missed this...but that's wonderful news Peteprint. Please give me an update on how your journey is going my friend.

Peteprint likes this.
  9. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Brother Lowly,

I am still working on it. The issue is that APA has no parishes where I live. There is the possibility I could become a member at large of a parish and attend an ACNA parish here. There is a parish of the APCK here also.

highchurchman and Lowly Layman like this.
  10. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Although I have very definite views, they can be quite diverse, so I find the diversity in Anglicanism a strength and something to affirm.

11. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I see that as well Rebel. As long as there is balance and the diversity doesn't sink to the level of "anything goes."

Anne likes this.
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Please remember that all variety is bound within the limits of Anglican orthodoxy, as defined by our creeds, confessions, prayerbooks, articles, and homilies, outside of which one cannot be considered an Anglican.

This site is in progress of a Reformation in greater accord with that ancient and holy orthodoxy, described here:
    http://forums.anglican.net/threads/anglican-forums-reformation-advent-2014.1257/

You are invited to make a confession of faith and become an Anglican in the fullest sense of the word. Outside of this orthodoxy, the Church would not have considered someone an Anglican.

Anne and Spherelink like this.
  13. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Yes, I agree.

I have considered Orthodoxy, and still am, but I have strong disagreements as well as agreements. My areas of agreement are the atonement, their views of sin, man, salvation.

But I keep thinking of my two sisters and mom, all of whom have quite different views from me on some things. I like the idea of a church that all of us could fit into. I believe the Anglican church would be such; I do not believe Orthodoxy would be.

Peteprint likes this.
  14. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I like the REC, but I liked it better the way it was at its founding.

15. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    It makes perfect sense that EO would deny Anglican apostolic succession, it stems from Rome after all. I believe though that at some point the EOC was more sympathetic towards Anglicanism that Roman Catholicism?...please correct me if I'm wrong. I read some years ago some material on dialogues between the 2 churches.

16. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    It is an error that Anglican Orders or Succession stems from Rome. In fact no one knows, all we know is that Christianity in Britain started at an early date, indeed the town where I go to Church has Christian artifacts from 140 AD.. The Early Church approx., 300 AD, tells us that the First Bishop of the Church in Britain, was Aristobulos, a matter that is still put forward today by the Eastern Church!
    As far as I can see you'r quite right in supposing 'Orthodox sympathy' towards Anglicanism, I was told in emergencies that Anglicans could receive the sacrament from Orthodox priests.

That was a long time ago and I shouldn't imagine it holds now! I've never tried mind you!

alphaomega, zimkhitha and Anne like this.
  17. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I should have highlighted that I mean AS that can be traced.

18. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Aristobulos per the Roman Church was one of the 70 disciples. New Advent list him as the Bishop of Britain as early as 37 AD.
    Their source: Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 5

As to Rome's decree on Anglican Orders, I think
    Saepius officio answered them.

Roman changes her ordination rites fairly often. Pope Pius XII in Sacramentum Ordinis reaffirmed that a valid ordination requires
    the laying on of hands (at least the right hand) and say "receive the Holy Spirit." Any other way is invalid.

In 1962 the rite was changed. Still the laying on of hands, but no words. I read the rite and rubrics. No where is the words "receive the Holy
    Spirit." Pope Leo in his decree to nullify Anlgican Orders said that only saying "receive the Holy Ghost" was not enough. Using Leo's logic, Roman
    Apostolic Succession has been lost.

So nothing Rome says can nullify Anglican Orders. Also, Rome recognizes the Polish National Catholic Church's sacraments. Many if not most
    of the continuing church has received Apostolic Succession through the PNCC.

anglican74 and Lowly Layman like this.