Claims that Archbishop Carey covered up abuse... what do people think about this?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by humble, Jun 26, 2017.

1. humble

humble New Member

Carey, former Archbishop of Canterbury, colluded with senior clergy to protect a paedophile bishop. He helped to ‘deliberately conceal’ evidence which helped Peter Ball, the former Bishop of Lewes and Gloucester, escape prosecution for 22 years. Ball was finally jailed for 32 months in October 2015 after admitting sex offences against 18 teenagers and young men between the 1970s and 1990s. Meanwhile Carey continues to sit as a "Lord" in the House of Lords.

Surely, Carey and the other bishops who covered this up should themselves be facing criminal charges? And surely the Church should be forced to pay compensation to those teenagers and young men who were raped?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-peter-ball-admits-sexually-abusing-young-men

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    In some ways, cover up is more damning than the actual abuse

humble likes this.
  3. humble

humble New Member

In 2012 I watched a debate between Richard Dawkins and Cardinal George Pell on the subject of atheism. Cardinal Pell is the third highest ranking official in the Vatican. While watching this debate, I thought at the time that Cardinal Pell was an arrogant prick. In fact, I suspected that he might be a child abuser. It turns out I was right.[​IMG] Cardinal Pell has just been charged with sex abuse and raping young boys for the past 40 years. Here's the 2012 debate that he had with Richard Dawkins. Just watching this you can tell right away what an odious person this Cardinal Pell is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hy8NxZvFY

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

It's all very disturbing. To use one's divine calling to prey on innocents...sick and disgusting. All I know is they will answer for these atrocities in this life or the next. Them and those who turned a blind eye or actively helped conceal. God sees all.

alphaomega likes this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I do not like thee Dr Pell!!!

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In all fairness I am not a fan of the Cardinal, and I feel his persona is detached and aloof. However as a word of caution, it is not my job to come to a conclusion, and I am prepared to hope that the legal process will do its job and I think we should all wait for those who task it is before we reach and proclaim conclusions that are above our pay grade.

Lord, in the darkness let your light shine.

Aidan likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I appreciate your sentiment Philip, and your heart is in tge right place, but it implies that his victims are lying. Victims who, after years of the agony of living in the shadows and shame, decide to step up and endure very public scrutiny in order for the abuser to be held to account and the abuse to end. It is, for each and every one of us, our duty to protect those who cannot protect themselves, to call out evil in high places. Not coming to conclusions allows the abuse to continue. "Judging not" does not mean tolerating the intolerable nor shirking our duty to our neighbors, children included, to seek and demand justice.

Aidan, Botolph and PotterMcKinney like this.