History of Reformed Churches in Spain and Portugal

Discussion in 'Church History' started by Old Christendom, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    A Short History of the Reformed Episcopal Churches of Spain and Portugal, from 1868 to the Present Time, by H.E. Noyes.

[​IMG]

(Church of the Most Holy Trinity, Rio de Mouro)

PREFACE.

THE need of some such historical sketch as the present has often been felt by those who have sought to aid the movement for Church Reform in Spain and Portugal. It is difficult to supply an inquirer with all the circumstances of the case, but a book like the present may go some way to meet the necessity. I have put together the simple facts connected with the rise and progress of the Episcopal Reform movement, avoiding as much as possible any of those controversial questions which have arisen with respect to the consecration of a Bishop or the compilation of a Liturgy. I may claim some qualifications for my task, having several times visited Spain and Portugal and all the congregations to which I refer. My close connection, moreover, in the movement with his Grace the Archbishop of Dublin—whom, indeed, it was my privilege to first interest in the work, and who has since proved such a warm friend of these struggling Churches—has kept me in touch with the whole subject.

For fear of misunderstanding, I would emphasise the fact that these pages contain, and only profess to contain, some account of that body of Christians in Spain and Portugal who from the first have desired to retain what they regard as old and true in the doctrine and practice of the early Church in those lands, and to follow as far as possible the lines laid down by our own

[viii] I have no intention to ignore the importance of the good work done by other bodies of Christians, but the contrary.

To write the history of Reform generally in Spain and Portugal would require many volumes, and would only involve the traversing of ground well worn by the footsteps of others. Enough to mention works such as Dr. McCrie's "Reformation in Spain," Stoughton's "Memories of the Spanish Reformers," Canon Meyrick's valuable book upon the Church in Spain, the "Bible in Spain" by George Borrow, "The Dawn of the Reformation in Spain," by the late Mrs. R. Peddie, and many others. I may also remark that a comparison of Murray's Handbook for Spain for the year 1868 with that of the present year gives a striking and somewhat unexpected testimony to the progress of religious liberty in these countries.

These works cover the ground up to the year 1868, when the story of the Reformed Episcopal Church more properly begins, and should be read by all those who desire to learn more of those heroes who, in the midst of almost insuperable difficulties, had held aloft the torch of religious liberty during the years that went before.

H. E. NOYES, D.D.
    5, Rue d'Aguesseau, Paris.