Church of North India

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Celtic1, May 10, 2013.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Robert and Symphorian like this.
  2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Thanks for the link. There are some very interesting and surprising combinations there.

Although it's not the same, in the UK we have the Churches Together program:

http://www.ctbi.org.uk/

In the village where I live we have Anglicans, Methodists, United Reformed and Catholics joining together for worship and service to others. In larger towns there are many more denominations in the mix.

3. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    I noticed that my own church's (The Church of the Brtheren) mission in India was part of this merger. I kind of wonder how a Brethren service would work in a church with bishops and priests. Have the started having communion every service? I'd also like to know if any still practice the Love Feast. This is interesting.

Celtic1 likes this.
  4. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    The article says, though, that the Church of the Brethren withdrew in 2006. I'd like to know why they withdrew.

5. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Here's what our we sight has to say.

"Brethren involvement in India stretches back to 1895, when Brethren missionaries began working there. Over the span of years of work in India, the Church of the Brethren helped to establish many congregations as well as schools, health care facilities, and other institutions.

In 1970, the Church of the Brethren in India joined together with several other denominations to form the Church of North India (CNI), and the Brethren mission in India closed.

Today the Church of the Brethren continues to be in relationship with two groups in India: the Church of North India and a group of India Brethren who have resisted being part of CNI. Brethren delegations and leaders from the United States have visited in India with both groups. The Church of the Brethren also has facilitated efforts at reconciliation between these sometimes conflicting communities.

Over the past couple of years, efforts have increased to grow the relationship between the Church of the Brethren and both faith communities in India that have Brethren roots. In late 2007, Brethren from India took part in a Historic Peace Churches conference in Indonesia with other peace church groups from Asia, with financial help and support from the Church of the Brethren. In late 2008, the Church of the Brethren also offered support following interfaith violence in India that has affected members of CNI.

Contact Global Mission and Service for more information about the Brethren in India."

http://www.brethren.org/partners/india/

Symphorian and Celtic1 like this.