"Charismastic" Catholics

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by DouayJamesGeneva, Apr 10, 2018.

1. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Does anyone know much about this movement? Apparently there is a Charismatic offshoot within the RCC. How does the RCC view this kind of phenomenon, and what do Anglicans think of it?

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Happy-clappy, jumping for Jesus, hands in the air lot. Similar to evangelical Protestants. Popular in 70s and 80s, less so now thanks be to God! Big into "folk Masses" which was basically a pop concert on the sanctuary led by Fr Trendy!!

3. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I had a bad experience with some Ruthenians who identified as charismatic Catholics. The whole situation was a mess: the church was basically one large family with a few outliers who liked the Eastern rite better than the Roman rite. They had a dual-rite supply priest come in to sing the Mass for them and he was only available every other week. In his off weeks, the core family went to infest a local Maronite congregation. The whole culture of the group was cultish and the family patriarch let it be known that he was a charismatic and if you were not, you would never be accepted within their circle. I felt sorry for the handful of people who just wanted to go to that Mass and pray in that manner without getting immersed in the family's culture. I'm sure nothing has come of them.

But that is my general experience of charismatics: they tend to view themselves as super Christians, more holy than others. And they want you to know about their gift or gifts. They don't acknowledge ordinary gifts as equal to whatever they are claiming and run off more people than they bring in with that attitude. They are really rather predatory on the easily impressionable. I'm no cessationist but I think most of the charismatics I have met are deluded.

Aidan likes this.
  4. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I used to know a few people who were part of the Sword of the Spirit Communities founded by Steve Clark which came out of the catholic charismatic renewal. While not very knowledgeable on the subject I have to say my experience with charismatic catholics was positive. I still read their online magazine from time to time (found here: http://www.swordofthespirit.net/bulwark/ ). I did not find them happy clappy and I admired their faith and evangelical fervour.

5. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I should also say that the local Melkite bishop of the area of Lebanon I was visiting was very supportive of the Swrd of the Spirit Communities so they seemed to have been well accepted by some at least in the church hierarchy.