Your top 3 favorite choral settings

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Patrick Sticks, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    It is of course, one of the obvious truths of the world that the Choral music of Anglicanism is one of its greatest treasures. Enjoyed by all sorts all the way from the Pope to plumbers. Who indeed, can fail to be swayed by Choral Evensong in our Cathedrals, College Chapels and Parish Churches up and down the country, whichever country this so happens to be, though clearly I've opened with a rather Anglo-centric perspective.

So I thought for a bit of light relief we could share our Top Three Settings for things- Masses, Evensong Canticles, Anthems.

I would post mine...however, I actually have to rush to Evening Prayer in 8 minutes and that's not at all long enough to give this some proper thought, 'but why should that stop others?' I pondered, so I thought I'd let the ball roll without me so, fire away and I'll give it some more thought.

Seeker and Evensong like this.
  2. Seeker

Seeker Member

I am not Anglican but their worship and music are so so so beautiful, so I will be so very eager to read and hear the next entries!

Evensong likes this.
  3. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

I know that we use a lot of Proulx and Purcell, some Tallis, and some Byrd; but I need to look more closely before I can answer. Stay tuned.

Evensong likes this.
  4. Evensong

Evensong New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    This is difficult as heck! There are nearly 500 years to choose from! I am a big early music lover, but the last 150 years have produced such a wealth of uplifting music too...

Anthem I: Sir Edward Bairstow's Let all mortal flesh keep silence, 1906. In my opinion, nothing gets closer to the heart of the Liturgy, and even the Mystery of God, than this anthem.

Anthem II: Henry Purcell's Rejoice in the Lord alway. No explanation needed for this well-known joy.

Morning: Sir Charles Villiers Stanford's B-flat major Te Deum & Jubilate Deo, 1878. Festival in character.
    Evening: Stanford's G major Magnificat & Nunc dimittis, 1902. Ethereal, quiet, and otherworldly in character.

For Easter Morning, something extravagant like the 35-minute Dettingen Te Deum of Handel!

Not sure about Communion settings yet.

God bless you for this opportunity, Patrick. We need the incense of prayer in music to waft through our hearts.

Maid Marie and Seeker like this.