Can a woman priest have a body piercing?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by niccolo25, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

Actually, I think he was referring to what an unnamed Argentinian president used to say. A good quote though, nonetheless :clap:

2. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Why not?
    What is wrong about it?

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I very much doubt you'll get an answer from @Andy after 5 years have elapsed, even though such people's views are so solidly fixed that even 5 years extra life and even perhaps occasionally thinking about it, (though that may be too much to ask), is likely to change such minds. :laugh:

4. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    To that I reply:

Whatever is asked or said on a FORUM, is always directed to EVERYBODY - and EVERYBODY may answer.
    That is the idea of a FORUM.

When one has a personal question, then one can write a private message.

So my question now goes explicitly to all and sundry: "Why should there be no woman priests? What is wrong with them?"

:)

Invictus likes this.
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I don't think there is any overriding, theologically supportable, reason for men forbidding women to perform any of the functions of priesthood, under the terms of the New Covenant. Under the Old Covenant there would have been, but the New Covenant contains no such prohibitions as far as I can ascertain. God is no respecter of persons, male or female there is no impartiality, 1 Cor.12:4-11 and God distributes his gifts for the benefit of Christ's Church, severally without discrimination as to gender, colour, or nationality. Rom.12:3-8 is obviously not adressed only to men. It is obviously adressed to all and everyone including women. If the references to 'himself' and 'him' are thought by any to be intended by Paul to exclude women from the body of Christ I don't think much of the standard of theological reasoning behind such a crass and deliberate misunderstanding of Holy scripture. 'Thought' just couldn't be an accurate description of such gross ignorance.

As to the thread title, I think a universal application of the inappropriateness of body piercings beyond those for ear rings would apply to both men and women in holy orders, just as tatoes in prominent places would be inappropriate and liable to cause offense to some, which would be best avoided once a person has been ordained to the Christian priesthood.

Invictus and Silvan like this.
  6. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I agree completely! :)

Invictus likes this.
  7. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Here I agree as well.

Invictus likes this.
  8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Would, no impartiality, be a double negative, I wonder? I really meant that impartiality is an attribute of God, so I don't think he draws distinctions based only on the gender of the human species, in spite of the fact that both males and females of the species habitually do, and often inappropriately, for reasons other than choosing a mate but rather to categorise others in order to unfairly debar them from some otherwise male predominant professions.

Invictus likes this.
  9. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I wonder:

What on earth are the arguments of those, who do not want female priests?
    I cannot think of one valuable argument.

Invictus likes this.
  10. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The scriptural argument comes from 1 Timothy 2.12. For those that believe this argument persuasive, some also argue it on the basis of Church tradition, doctrine and past decrees.

The issue of Women's Ordination has been litigated a lot on this forum, given it's probably been among the top two divisive issues in the Anglican Communion for the past three decades. Here are some recent examples:
    The Plan To Smuggle In Female Pastors
    Historic Theologian On Women In The Church
    Lutherans Elect First Transgender Bishop
    How To Defend The Belief Only Men Should Be Ordained

There are many many more, including sub-discussions in completely unrelated threads. The issue comes up a lot. If you want to start a new discussion on Women's Ordination you'll probably have more luck starting a new thread than resurrecting this one. I imagine many will have reservations about bumping a dead thread to take it off-topic, but they might respond in a dedicated thread where it feels more appropriate to discuss it.

11. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Old threads never die.
    If anybody writes in them, they come to life again.
    But I will now create a poll on that matter, so that we can see, what the opinion of the majority here is.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  12. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
  13. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    My thread was a poll.
    Not just an ordinary thread, but a poll.
    And I had opened that poll on the advice of another member.
    The only poll on that topic, I think.
    It is a pity that it has been closed now.
    I had opened it as a kind of service for the forum.

14. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Stalwart likes this.
  15. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    There is only one Priest (for the Church of the New Covenant) in the New Testament scriptures.

16. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As discussed before, the word 'priest' is an Early Modern English version originally deriving from 'presbyter' / presbuteros'. The word is widely found in use in the Books of Common Prayer.

Invictus likes this.
  17. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    The word is also a translation of the Greek word hieros, which nowhere in the NT is applied to Christian clergy. It was in that sense that I intended the statement above to be understood, as well as to note the ambiguity in the word itself when we're reading it back into the NT (in English). Nowhere does the NT say that "only a man can be a presbyteros", and there are no properly theological arguments I'm aware of that demonstrate such a limitation of eligibility. But this is ground that we've all covered thoroughly before. I'm not sure what good it will do to rehash all that here.

Botolph likes this.
  18. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Sorry everyone that I got to this too late, but yeah this is a resurrection of a very old thread and thus should just remain closed.

Botolph likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.