Brand New Anglican

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Swordswoman, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Swordswoman

Swordswoman New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi all,

Well, I had a fancy document typed up to post here but I can't seem to find it now... but that's OK, probably too long and boring anyway, haha!

I've had a checkered past with religion. I was baptized Lutheran when I was a year old, and was only religious when Mom took me to church on Sundays. I did get invited to Catholic masses by my friend when I was young and that made much more of a favorable impression on me than Lutheranism ever did. So from a young age I wanted to be Catholic. After I grew up I converted, but even then did not practice it. (is that telling me something?) Then decided I was Buddhist for a while; and when the potential second husband entered the picture, he persuaded me back to Christianity, but nothing specific until we sort of settled on a compromise; Lutheranism (he from Baptist, me from Catholic in theory--but still at that time, in belief). But that lasted a few years and I wanted to resign my membership. He did too, but I guess for different reasons. Anyway, after hearing about Anglicanism and specifically the ACC (he has a friend who, it turns out, is an ACC priest) we decided to convert. I am happy to be here!

We go to a very small "mission" church, and I guess I'm missing out on the full effect of a beautiful liturgy, something I'm very partial to... there's a bigger church near where I work so maybe on Wednesday noons I could go to mass there.

Anyway, having read a lot of posts here from you good people, I have gotten a Book of Prayer 1928 edition, a 1940 Hymnal, and that book about "the Catholic Religion" by Vernon "somebody" (sorry, can't remember his name right now and I don't want to lose my place). What can you tell me would be the "standard practice" of an Anglican? Do you use the Anglican Rosary? (I got one from my husband for Christmas). Is the fasting and abstinence the same as the Roman Catholic Church? And, the biggie--do I need a declaration of nullity since I've been married before? Our priest says yes but it's not as bad as a Catholic document that they have you write, but I can't find anything online or whatever that describes the process or what you're supposed to include.

I feel that even though the Anglican/Episcopal world is so splintered, something I was very disappointed to find out, I think I am contributing to its unity in a very small way by joining. I already didn't like the Protestant way of trashing unity, and now I'm doing this... but, I have hope for the Anglican church because I believe it to be one of the true branches. I'm not particularly deep, but I benefit from reading more than writing. Just wanted to say hi, and pray for me... I'll need it!

Rev2104, Spherelink and Aidan like this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hi Swordswoman! Wonderful post thanks so much for sharing your journey. Like so many, it looks like you came to Anglicanism the long way round. I hope (and fervently believe) that you'll find it to be the treasure of great price the rest of us have.

In answer to some of questions, if your 1928 BCP is the same as found here, then turn to your table of contents and right after the Calendar, you'll find a section entitled "Tables and Rules for the Movable and Immovable Feasts, Together with the Days of Fasting and Abstinence Throughout the Year, and the Days of Solemn Supplication" which will give you the guidelines for feasts and fasts in classical Anglicanism. Unlike Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, there is a lot of liberty for how one observes the feasts and fasts. Some choose to follow a rule that is essentially the same as EO and RC, but certainly not all do so.

Personally, I've never used an Anglican Rosary, but don't see any reason not to. The are also some anglo-catholics that pray the RC holy rosary or the Angelus.

My daily practice to either pray the Morning/Evening Prayer or the Family Prayers for the morning/evening. Cradleofprayer.org, commonprayer.org, and anglicanradio.com are great resources in this area.

I would also reach out to your denomination's website or your priest for more specific answers.

Good luck and may God bless you in all you do.

Lloyd likes this.
  3. Swordswoman

Swordswoman New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you! I am looking forward to delve into the practices, I need all the growth in virtue I can get :pray4:
    And I know you have to just do the habit (I hate making prayer sound like only some kind of self-help thing of the month!) but you have to start somewhere.

Lloyd and Rev2104 like this.
  4. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    The catholic religion is the book my father suggested for me.
    Anglicanism for me is home. I come from a RC back ground and it was an easy transition for me.
    I follow thr older pre vatican ii rules for days of fasting. There not required but at least in my parish strongly suggested.
    My father did not require any nullity in regards to my prior divorce. Yours might.
    The splintered aspect is one of the more difficult aspects i find to deal with. I thpu try to avoid the politics. I came to Anglicanism for the scripture and the Eucharist. I try to focus on that cause worrying about the big political picture does me no good and can leave me discourage. Scripture and Eucharist. I have a great parish that provides.

Welcome aboard and I hope you find countless blessing from God here

Lloyd likes this.
  5. Lloyd

Lloyd New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Hi Swordswoman, I see we have been down a lot of the same paths. I am happy that you have found your way to a church that you enjoy. I have been part of a Roman Catholic annulment proceeding. It can be a very painful period for the couple, and puts the witnesses to the marriage into the awkward position of reflecting on the validity of your friends marriage. It was pretty tough for me.

As for the Rosary? I have Anglican prayer beads and I have several RC rosary beads. I use both, sometimes I use both on the same day. I love praying with the Anglican prayer beads for their freer form where you can kind of pray as the Holy Spirit directs you. I still use RC prayers for the most part except on the cruciform beads. I like to pray the RC rosary, especially on holy days during Advent, Christmas season, Lent and Easter because they focus me on the mysteries of our faith and the Blessed Mothers role in our salvation. There are several good books out there about praying the Anglican rosary.

God Bless you and your husband.

6. ApostolicChristian

ApostolicChristian New Member

England
    Religion:
    RC (Currently)
  7. Andy

Andy Member Anglican