Biblical Courtship

Discussion in 'Family, Relationships, and Single Life' started by Khater, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Khater

Khater Member

United States
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic-SSPX
    I know Biblical courtship is popular in certain Evangelical circles. Is it practiced within traditional Anglicanism? It seems like a great alternative to modern recreational dating.

2. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    My children practice it. We are Anglicans. I know Roman Catholics as well who practice it. And protestants who do not identify as evangelical.

From my experience it has been emotional health and is the way all cultures prepared their young people for marriage. Dating as we know it started in the mid 20th century. My grandparents, born 1903, 06, 17 and 20 practiced courtship. None of them dated multiple people. Usually met young, grew to know each other as the families did and they married. My paternal grandparents married when my grandfather was 15 and grandmother 13. They lived with their parents for 5 years. Set up a house and had children.

Lower divorce rates, more stable marriages.

My parents generation (50's) began the multiple dating partners scheme. Marriages not as stable. My generation even less so. For the sake of myself and kids we reverted back to grandparents method. Seems to work better.

Now my kids get alot of grief from peers. It is had as the evil one does not like biblical courtship. My 22 year daughter still asks permission to go out with friends and is interested in a young man who is soon to be commissioned in the US Army. Her mother, her and I have had conversations about this relationship. We met him before the first date. Two drawbacks...for mom he is nominal catholic (well I am concerned also), but worse for this ole Marine, Army really. At least not Navy.

My three girls, whenever some guy asks for their phone number. They give mine to the young man. They tell them, if my Father gives you my number then it is ok to call. My two sons have just a tough requirements......probably harder.

Fr. Mark

bwallac2335, Gladius Dei and Andy like this.