baptism for the dead

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Lowly Layman, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

1 Corinthians 15:29 speaks of baptism for the dead: "what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"

Do you think this is referring to proxy baptism? If so, do you think is a viable use of the sacrament, extending grace to those who would be otherwise outside of God' s new covenant?

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    The Mormons use that verse to justify baptism of the dead, but I am not aware that any Christian Church has ever practiced it. Explanations regarding the verse in question don't seem to reach any universal conclusions on the matter.

3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi LL! What does the text mean by "baptized for the dead"? That's not quite the same as "baptism for the dead."

4. Lowly Layman

good point, what is the significaance of the difference in your mind? for the life of me, i cant make heads or tails of this verse. any insight would be quite appreciated.

highchurchman likes this.
  5. Lowly Layman

perhaps St Paul is saying that being baptized in the name of Christ, if he is indeed unresurrected, as the people St Paul is refuting seem to be arguing. then it is baptism for one who is dead and has no power nor promise to raise again to new and everlasting life. in short, he's saying that if one takes away the truth of the resurrection, then what's the point of baptism at all?

its just a thought. am i on the right track?

6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
  7. Lowly Layman

I guess it's as good an interpretation as any. However, I'm not a fan of CARM so I'm generally leary of eating fruit from a poisonous tree.

zimkhitha likes this.