Art,language & chants

Discussion in 'Arts and Music' started by Gio, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    what art do you fellow christians find beautiful. I prefer Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox , like the following.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also what language do you think is most biblicaly holy, biblical Hebrew, or koine Greek?
    And what type of chants do you find beautiful, latin, English, or Greek chants?

alphaomega likes this.
  2. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I'm a huge fan of Icongraphy, myself. My parish even has them, which is interesting.

I don't think any language can be considered more holy than another, really, though I think the languages in the Bible were chosen for a reason. I can't speak to Hebrew much, but the complexity and philosophical capabilities of Greek make it the perfect language of that time to communicate the kind of heavenly ideas the Scriptures communicate to us. Still, the Spirit moves through our English translations as well.

I can't say I have a preference on chants, really.

3. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Russian icons are my favorite.

Chants - I don't have a preference because there is a time and place that's appropriate for each style. But Merbecke's is the one I use most often.

alphaomega likes this.
  4. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I like both, but Byzantinium icons have a special place in my heart, but Western Christian art makes me very aware of the Christian roots of most European nations, part of my (and family)heritage. I prefer Orthodox chants, very other worldly. I like all Biblical languages, I think Aramaic is very sacred because Our Lord (and Apostles)spoke it, Latin is very precious also.