Archbishop Fred Hiltz (Canada) address to General Synod

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Ogygopsis, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

http://jointassembly.ca/stories/2013/07/gs-presidential-address/2027

Highlights include his discussion of visiting churches across the second largest country in the world:
    -ministry to street people in Toronto
    -relocation of a church in Newfoundland
    -West End Commons, a ministry in Winnipeg
    -Iqaluit St Jude's igloo cathedral in the arctic, translation of the bible into Inuktitut.
    -election of an indigenous bishop in Saskatchewan (he's Cree)
    -the Truth and Reconciliation Committee's work

-Maybe this is why I chafe at the insistence on strict traditional orthodoxy. We are so diverse in Canada, with more traditional peoples in the west and north, who are Anglican because the RC, Presbyterians (now part of the United Church of Canada) and Anglicans each chose villages and what are now Indian Reserves to minister to. It's also why we have RC and Anglicans, Lutherans and Anglicans, United Church and Anglicans worshipping and working together in many places.

Lux Christi likes this.
  2. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    I think that Christianity is having a renewal of focus in Canada. For too long has Christendom also been ruled by our Euro-centric notions and ideas, and then transplanted onto colonial countries. I feel that the importance of the indigenisation of Christianity in different places around the world is vital and essential these days, if we desire to come back to the universality of the Gospel of Christ!

I would not scoff at an Indian ceremony of doing arati before the Blessed Sacrament, any more than the Aboriginal peoples of Canada influencing their Anglican Christian identity with the local culture. I pray that the Anglican Church of Canada will find through its reconciliation with the First Nations history, a new sense of Christianity, as well as Aboriginal cultures as an inherent part of our Canadian identity!