Anglican Myth: the 'Three Streams, One Muddy River'

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by The Hackney Hub, Jul 5, 2012.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Thomas Didymus, Toma and Stalwart like this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This was an excellent blog post, thanks!
    (It would probably help if the thread contained the specific myth, the "3-stream-Anglicanism".

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, bravo! Very informative Hackney Hub!

4. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Isn't Three Streams the prevailing ACNA model?

5. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes, three streams appear to be the prevailing ACNA model. See the thread ACNA -- Three Steams, One River in the Anglican and Christian News Forum.

...Scottish Monk

6. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Thanks for that it was a good read, and cleared a few things up in my mind.

Stalwart likes this.
  7. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Andrea likes this.
  8. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am in no way an expert on religious history (Anglican or otherwise).

What I know of the Anglican church tradition I have learned from a local Episcopal Parish (177-year body) in my community, a local ACNA Parish (3-month body) in the same community, readings on the history, theology, polity, and spirituality of the Anglican church, and conversations in forums like this. I know I have much to learn.

And I also know what has passed in the United States for Anglicanism may be a different journey than what has gone on in other global areas--both in terms of the current religious events in our country and the frontier religious history reaching back 250-plus years.

I do not wish to lessen the pride for the Anglican tradition that some profess both in this thread and in the Anglican writings of others. Nor do I wish to lessen the belief of those in the Anglican Churches in North America (ACNA) in what they may see as the work of the Holy Spirit.

We may be headed down a dead-end street (albeit a 500-year street) when we place greater emphasis upon tradition (even though we choose to call it Orthodox tradition) than emphasize Scripture or the work of the Holy Spirit in the Body of Christ.

The statements or activities of sincere Christians should never be labeled "myths" by other Christians--even for the sake of Anglican purity.

To do so may come dangerously close to placing the label of myth on the work of the Holy Spirit.

...Scottish Monk

Robert likes this.
  9. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Dear Scottish Monk, or American Cousin,
    All Tradition is, as far as I have been taught, is the bishop's translation of scripture for their clergy and laity's use. It is the deposit of faith following biblical teaching in its simplest usage.

10. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting view of the Holy Spirit, Scottish Monk. :)

Roman Catholicism seems, as far as I can tell, to limit the work of the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity to the Pope speaking from his episcopal chair, and/or all bishops in ecumenical councils. The work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of ordinary people is not particularly emphasised.

What an interesting difference! Is it fair to say that if you believe in a visible Church, you tend to limit the Spirit to bishops and councils? Likewise, if you believe an invisible Church, you give the Spirit freedom to guide all Christians in a strong, albeit mystical way?

There are already conflicting opinions as to when the Holy Ghost indwells you. Reformed say He comes to you the moment you have faith and are justified by God. A few Anglicans say He comes to you in Baptism. Catholics say He is given as a gift in Confirmation.

Elder brother in Christ, this seems to be the correct view. The word we translate as 'tradition' in the New Testament is paradosis, which is variously used for handing-over, handing-down, teaching from older days, ritual, something given to another in oral or written form, the giving away of cities to an enemy, and things related to passing objects/words/teachings on to others.

The Lord Jesus condemns the man-made paradosis of the Pharisees, and Paul says "hold fast to the paradosis(es) you have heard from us". Context, context, context!