Anglican History Gallery

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Toma, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends,

There are many famous pictures in Anglicanism: Cranmer by Flicke, George Herbert by White, and the Frontispiece to the History of the Reformation in England, by commissioned by Bishop Burnet.

Across the centuries there have been an astonishing array of beautiful portraits, frontispieces, and paintings in all sorts of genres, relating to our churches, great men & women. Do you have any favourites?

2. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am more of a Reformation-Divines lover, but feel free to post photos of Pusey, Pugin, et. al. :)

My first contribution is the portraits & frontispiece mentioned in the opening thread:

CRANMER by Gerlach Flicke, c. 1545:

[​IMG]

GEORGE HERBERT by Robert White, 1674 (note: 40 years after Herbert had died)

[​IMG]

THE HISTORY OF THE REFORMATION OF THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND, Frontispiece, 1679:

Note that Henry's side is associated with power, dismantling, and destruction of wicked novelties & superstition,
    while Cranmer's side is associated with building up what was taken down (though the Archbishop is stepping on a rosary).

[​IMG]

Also, ARCHBISHOP MATTHEW PARKER by an Anonymous Flemish Painter

[​IMG]

3. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    [​IMG]

I have a book of the life of George Whitefield with this woodcut on the cover, it's an interesting picture I think, shows a lot fo commotion about which it probably would have. Some coming to jeer, others to listen others out of curiosity and in all this commotion Whitefield stands firm preaching the gospel.

4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Wow, that's beautiful SK! Thank you!

You're welcome to post anything you can find of the Scottish Episcopal Church, or even its progenitors (Knox? ;))

I am tempted to make this more a Reformation history gallery, so I could include Calvin refusing Communion to the Libertines, and Knox railing against evil... but I stayed my hand a little. :p

Scottish Knight likes this.
  5. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Incense and Toma like this.
  6. Incense

Incense Active Member

Those are really nice! I think I can learn a lot about Anglicanism in those pictures and this kind of threads!!