Anglican Exorcisms

Discussion in 'Sacraments and Liturgy' started by Anglican04, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

Hola amigos!

I created this thread so that we can discuss all things exorcism related.

A few questions specifically:

How do Anglican exorcisms work?

Does TEC have exorcists?

How many exorcists are in every diocese (estimate/what do you think)

Is there a ordination for exorcists?

Can any priest do an exorcism?

Hope to see some replies on this thread :)

2. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    In the early church, specific people were ordained for the role of exorcist. This carried over into the undivided Church and eventually the Roman and Eastern Churches until recently. However, they did not engage in exorcism since perhaps the age of Constantine? I'm not sure about the date on that bit, but it has been a great time since ordained exorcists actually performed exorcisms.

Theoretically, any priest can do an exorcism. Canon law forbids any old priest from doing it without the permission of their Bishop, who usually has some kind of policy to ensure that it isn't some other issue at hand (mental illness, et cetera). A good example of a minor exorcism done on a regular basis is the Exorcism of the Water in the rite for Holy Baptism.

Anglican04 likes this.
  3. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I know that, in the Anglican Church of Canada and the Church of England, each diocese has an exorcist appointed and a liturgy devised to handle anyone requesting an exorcism. Usually, after an examination of mental health and other factors in a person's life, a priest or minister will visit the individual and follow the liturgy and then immediately after finishing, continue on to say Mass/Holy Communion.

The bishops of the ACNA have yet to publish any official rite of exorcism, however, I am aware of a movement to get the ball rolling regarding exorcism and deliverance. I would presume that if needed, a priest in the church would use an already published rite with the cooperation of their bishop.

Also, in the BCP you find this prayer from the order of Compline: Visit, we beseech Thee, O Lord, this place, and drive from it all the snares of the enemy; let Thy holy angels dwell herein to preserve us in peace; and may thy blessing be upon us evermore; through Christ our Lord. Amen. (or a variation, since I quote from memory)

Anglican04 likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

DivineOfficeNerd and Cameron like this.