'Anglican Covenant' -- proposal by Canterbury for binding together world's Provinces

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by mark1, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican

The closest we might come is the 'Anglican Covenant' proposal which came out of Canterbury in around 2008. Provinces around the world are debating and deciding on the matter now. If passes it could be quite a new development that forced each Province to be accountable to all the others!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Interesting points, Mark,

I do think we should concentrate on that which we have in common and move forward, which I think is part of what Sean is saying. However, I fear the worst is yet to come, if the recent GC is any indication of what the future might hold.

I think we must fight for orthodoxy, which I see as a defense of the Gospel.

3. Anna Scott

Mark,
    I wanted to come back to the issue of the 'Anglican Covenant'. The 77th General Convention of the Episcopal Church has now voted no on it.

I think you are right. I doubt a Covenant will happen given the diversity within TEC.

Here are links if anyone is interested in reading about the Anglican Covenant and TEC's rejection of it.

Deputies/Bishops vote no decision on Anglican Covenant

The Anglican Communion Covenant

An Anglican Covenant (some background)

4. Anna Scott

Sean,
    Would you elaborate more on this idea?

Thanks,
    Anna

5. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Does anyone think that the Covenant process is anything but a dead issue? The Convention had the decency not to put it to a vote. In the Church of England recently, parishes voted, with a majority of parishes voting against.

6. Anna Scott

Mark,
    I think a Communion wide adoption of the Anglican Covenant is probably not going to happen, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Ireland, Mexico, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, South East Asia, Southern Cone of America, and the West Indies have approved or subscribed to the Anglican Covenant. The adoption by the Anglican Church of Southern Africa is pending ratification at its next synod meeting.

The Church in Wales sent questions to the Anglican Consultative Council, but fears the rejection by the Church of England has jeopardized the Covenant's future.

The Church of England, the Scottish Episcopal Church, the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia, and Episcopal Church in the Philippines will not adopt the Covenant.

The Episcopal Church voted to “decline to take a position on the Anglican Covenant.” Ironically, they voted to continue to monitor the progress of the Covenant, until the 2015 General Convention. Yet, they phased out funding for the Episcopal Church staff position for Anglican Communion affairs.

Source for all the above:
    Responses to Episcopal Church non-position on Anglican Covenant
    AND
    No Anglican Covenant: Anglicans for Comprehensive Unity

7. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Indeed, the closest thing we might have came to was the Covenant, but it is pretty much dead in the water.

However, if we can bring our prayer books "closer" or a bit more "universal," then I think we would have greater unity. It is an idea.

8. Anna Scott

Sean,
    Yes, I would say the Covenant is "dead in the water."

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Church of England (voted against the Covenant) in the next few years. The Archbishop of Canterbury will face a huge job with the troubled Communion; and there are British religious and political issues to consider.

The Queen's role as head of the Church of England is being questioned:
    Queen's role as head of Church of England 'may no longer be appropriate'

The British Prime Minister is now calling for same-sex marriage:
    British PM reiterates call for same-sex marriage, scolds churches that ‘lock out’ gay members