Anglican Chants

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by mediaque, Mar 15, 2019.

1. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Wow. I don't know how I could have missed this all these years. Coming from the RCC I'm accustomed to and listen to Gregorian Chants. But I had never heard of the Anglican Chants.

So beautiful and peaceful. I find it great to softly play in the background during silent prayer. When I ran across it, my mouth fell open and I was like .... wow!

I know what kind of music will be playing in this house from time to time now.

I am continuously pleasantly surprised at the all the treasures I'm finding in Anglicanism. :clap:

dariakus and Magistos like this.
  2. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Any particular ones you are listening to?
    My kids are in bed at the moment and I have a playlist of the three Anglican Psalmody albums made by Gloriae Dei Cantores running softly.
    Those are : Thou Art My Refuge, He Has Heard My Voice, and His Love Endures Forever.

3. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    The ones I have run across on Youtube that I'm listening to are the ones made by the Guildford Cathedral Choir directed by Barry Ross.

4. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am most familiar with Gregorian and Eastern Orthodox Chant.

How does Anglican Chant differ?

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican

This video explains much in terms of Anglican Music in General, and in consequence anglican chant. The key difference of Anglican Chant is the matter of polyphony.

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    WOnderful

I just wanted to add that Gregorian Chant is not "non-Anglican music" as it was the default setting for music in the Anglican churches until and through the 18th century

By contrast, Anglican chant slowly emerged in a separate musical tradition during the 18th but mostly the 19th centuries

You won't find Byrd's compositions of the Anglican chant, but you will find Byrd's settings of gregorian chant, for instance... It was *the* default Anglican musical style in the Reformation and beyond

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  7. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Excellent video. Thanks for sharing!

I still listen to Gregorian Chant from time to time. But now, I too, get to enjoy Anglican Chant as well.

8. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Wasn’t even Martin Luther’s hymns influenced by Gregorian Chant? I know he took inspiration from pub music as in the case of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.”