Ancient Church -- resources of group study of liturgy and doctrine

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Scottish Monk, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am looking for resources to use in a group study of the liturgy and doctrine of the ancient church. Please post any resources you think are appropriate.

Thank you.

...Scottish Monk

2. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    On the Liturgy front, Jasper and Cuming's 'Prayers of the Eucharist' and Whitaker's 'Documents of the Baptismal Liturgy' will give you some excellent primary source translations of key liturgical text, with brief but informative notes...

On the doctrinal side, Henry Chadwick's 'The Early Church' is an indispensible introductory resource which gives a wonderful overview of the story of the Early Church and the events that surrounded the doctrinal decisions. Otherwise, I find John Behr's 2 volumes on the ante-nicene and nicene faith quite good, though possibly a little dense for group study. I know they're now releasing books in the series 'Christian Theology in Context' on individual Fathers which are quite readable, but for one's just on doctrine...they're hard to find since there's a greater appreciation that these things did not just 'drop out of the sky' but actually historical factors and the personalities behind the formulations have an impact on the shape of what we receive as 'Orthodoxy' today.

Truthfully, the best resource is (of course) primary texts, primary texts, primary texts. Which will obviously depend on what doctrines you intend on studying..?

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Patrick Sticks...

Good Recommendations. You obviously know a great deal on this topic.

Have you taught or participated in any group studies in local churches on this topic?

...Scottish Monk

4. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    But that I had!

I am afraid mostly dredging up a lot of my undergraduate degree. My old church was a bit funny, predominantly academics, priests and ordinands, the fathers just sort of drifted in and out of pub conversation.

Having said that our new curate in my new parish has started a 'Theology in the Pub' concerning himself with St. Augustine and the Confessions, but I missed it out of illness, which was unfortunate, but I could dropbox you a photocopy of those notes if you think they might give you some ideas for how to proceed with your own exploration?

Scottish Monk likes this.
  5. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Patrick Sticks...

Thank you for offer on the notes. However, I must confess that I am now staring at 4 bookcases of unread books that I really want to read. Thus, I must pass on more paper hitting my door step. Your earlier recommendations are already on my wish list, and excellent recommendations they are (judging by the comments on Amazon.com).

A church full of academics, priests, and ordinands, with theological discussions in a nearby pub, does sound most interesting. That would be hard to find here in the heartland of the United States.

Thank you again.

...Scottish Monk

6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Try at least Cyril's Catechetical Lectures, which are fairly short, and easily available online: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf207.ii.iv.html

(use the table of contents in the upper-left corner to navigate yourself through his views on the Church and the Two Sacraments)

7. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I wish the instructors in our group study spoke like Cyril of Jerusalem. :)

Lots of good reading in the Christian Classics Ethereal Library. Thanks for sharing.

...Scottish Monk