Ancestry DNA

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Lowly Layman, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    Anyone gotten their DNA tested? My wife really got into our geneology and we got tested. It was really an eye opener!

All my life I was told I was mostly Dutch, German and Scottish. Turns out, genetically speaking, I'm more English than the typical Englishman. lol. I'm 90% English. The rest is 7% Scottish/Irish, 2% Western European, and 1% Middle Eastern (probably Jewish). Very surprised given what I grew up hearing.

It's been very enlightening.

Anyone else?

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I had mine done a while back, with a scandinavian big, which probably relates to pre-conquest England. And a piece of Iberia that I do not as yet understand. It is very interesting.

In terms of the middle eastern origins, don't forget that simple line in the Anglo Saxons Chronicles 'The Picts came from Sythia'

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    hmmm...great point!

4. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My wife and I did those for Christmas two years ago. We tried to test our oldest daughter too, but we couldn't get a good sample from her (she was 1 at the time). I tested 100% white with a majority of Western European, a stronger than expected dose of Irish, a fair amount of Scandinavian, and a strong Finn/Rus marker (which was a surprise that my mother still refuses to accept is accurate based on the oral history of her family). Recently, they emailed me an update and it indicated that I had a fairly unique marker which traces to a particular region of Eastern Norway on the border with Sweden.

My wife is Puerto Rican and tested 41% European, 41% West African, and 18% Amer-indian. That is close to the average for mestizo Puerto Ricans.

5. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Reformed High Anglican
    Both my parents have done so separately. My father had no surprises. Predominately Iberian-indigenous with a significant British Isles minority (Our last name comes from an Anglo-Texan settler family who moved south) and small Sephardic Jewish and Sub-saharan African traces. My mom is pretty much primarily Celtic (Irish, Scots, Welsh, Cornish) and German with significant English traces.

6. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Reformed High Anglican
    Though I am always curious how they trace something like "Irish" or "Welsh" given the significant non-native settlement in the area.