I'm deeply uncomfortable with TEC. Should I try ACNA?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Lowly Layman, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hello all,

As I read the headlines of the TEC circling the drain before the big flush, I think and worry what life will be post Episcopalianism. Do I try the ACNA? I fear is that the ACNA is more of a rewind than a reset. The continuing churches are tiny and dont appear to be growing. Must I look to another denomination? God forbid! What church is there? Its very disheartening.

Where do we go when our church fails us?

2. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I know that many ex-TEC members now attend the REC(my denom) . Both TEC and REC were united in the Protestant Episcopal Church until 1852 when the REC first formed. REC is a very solid, traditional Anglican church and seems to be where former TEC members are drawn to. At least in my neck of the woods.

3. Lowly Layman

Theres no REC presence any where near. According to google its a 3 hour drive to the nearest parish.

Plus I cant accept that the REC was born out of a denial of Christ's presence in the Sacrament, the necessity and salvific power of baptism, the unique character of Apostolically derived holy orders. I know things have changed quite a bit now from what I'm told, but a church started in error seems in my opinion to remain prone to it. This is not meant as condemnation and I do not wish to offend, the REC is a wonderful church and is steadfast in its beliefs and, in a time of great turmoil, has been an indispensible life raft to many orthodox Anglicans. But Im just not sure if I can agree with and accept those steadfast beliefs. Especially since Im anglo-catholic.

Im at a crossroads

Shane R likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The problem I see with this view is that it's deeply uncharitable and doesn't allow any room for growth or change. I literally don't know anyone in the REC who holds to all those perspectives. They've deeply repented of all that.

They never claimed to be infallible, nor can any church BE infallible, yet you would deem us inferior for having some wrong views in the past.

The question is your well being today, in the ecclesiastical situation of today not 120 years ago.

Madeline likes this.
  5. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    I feel rather sad hearing what it is like in the USA with so many different groups of Anglicans. It seems so confusing. The Church of England has big problems and sections within it that hold to different views, but, so far, the Church seems to be holding together - for how long I don't know. I remain within it, despite its problems, and pray for it from within.

Madeline likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Has the REC formally repented? When?

What exactly did it repent of? Did it repent of saying that "priestly absolution is the blasphemous usurpation of the sole prerogative of God"? Did it repent of calling consubstantiation idolatrous?

Did it repent of saying " We feed on Christ only through his word, and only by faith and prayer; and we feed on him, whether at our private devotions, or in our meditations, or on any occasion of public worship, or in the memorial symbolism of the Supper"?

Does the REC continue to subscribe to the Declaration of Principles?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Stalwart likes this.
  7. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are many milestones. There was no single moment, unlike the initial 1800s schism.

But yes, modern REC bishops have called that action a schism; Bishops who advocated joining ACNA have said that it was wrong for the REC to stay schismatic and aloof from the Anglican Communion, etc.

But there are many milestones along the way, in no particular order:
    -the 35 "Articles of Religion" were repented (because the 39 weren't Reformed enough), and the classical 39 were formally adopted.
    -the new Prayer Book was adopted in a general convocation, and the original one was thrown out. The one adopted is basically the 1928 Prayer Book.
    -since the 1980s there was a movement to repudiate the "old REC" theology, including all of the phrases in your quotes. This was done by stopping those teachings, and erasing them from the new Prayer Book.

Nope.

8. Lowly Layman

Interesting. I shall give the REC another look.

alphaomega likes this.
  9. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah, I understand things used to be a lot different years ago, very "low church"(esp. 70's and earlier)But according to a friend of mine who recently visited us several times(who is also an EO deacon)said that the REC has changed greatly in a much more Anglo catholic type way he was very pleasantly surprised and really likes the direction the church has grown. Maybe this is just our parish, but from what I hear it is church wide. We do hold to the 39 Articles and believe in the Presence of Christ in the Holy Communion...I do hope you find a good, traditional Anglican church to call home.

Madeline likes this.
  10. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Lowly Layman,

If you don't mind, where do you live? The REC does have some missions that have not made it to Diocese pages and some transfer parishes also have not made it either. Also, the REC is in Communion with the Anglican Providence of American. I know of at least one REC priest who now serves an APA parish.

In my Diocese, Central States, an Anglo-Catholic would be very welcome. Our Bishop was Presbyterian before converting to Anglicanism many many years ago. He taught at the Reformed Theological Seminary prior. He is not Anglo-Catholic, but his Canon Theologian is very much so. I was and remain Anglo-Catholic. When I returned from the Roman Church he welcomed me with open arms. My chaplain board, 2 of the 3 priests were Anglo-Catholic.
    The one who was not, well we pray for him. lol.

I would suggest contacting the local diocese. People are contacting looking for parishes and some looking to leave jurisdictions such as the TEC. You never know who else may be in your area.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Lowly Layman likes this.
  11. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Church is always one generation from extinction. The sad truth is now when we look at Church attendance (and it may be better in the USA) is seeming to be in decline, I think 39% in the USA and 12% in England and Australia didn't even make the list (we were probably at the pub or the footy!).

I am sure that one of the things that contributes to this is our horrendous disunity. We are a somewhat dysfunctional expression of the unity the Jesus prayed for us on that night in the garden.

I grew up believing that Anglicanism offered a broad accommodation that allowed a broad variety of opinion around a solid unity that ensured that we were bound together. The truth is the current period is that there are way more ways of being Anglican out of Communion than there are of being Anglican in Communion.

I don't understand how there has not been a much great concern to maintain unity in North America amongst the not in communion Group. And the in Communion Church seems to be determined to be out of Communion, and then what will happen to the Out of Communion Churches. And I am certainly not pointing the finger at North America, as I am sure that we are no better in Australia, we just have less money to publish it, and we are probably less relevant to our community with fewer people in Church.

I don't know any of the answers, but I would love for it to be possible to mend a broken Church.

12. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I wonder about this everyday. My husband is not as concerned as I am about church history or where the Anglican Church of Southern Africa is right now. If odds were in my favor I'd go the ACC route as it is growing here. If that fails, I'd go East (although they are moving at a snail's pace to evangelize the black communities).

13. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm praying for a turnaround within the Anglican Communion though.

Aidan, Christina and Lowly Layman like this.
  14. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I'm in the ACA and it's soon merging with the APA. Kind of exciting to be a bit bigger! I also identify as Anglo-Catholic so I encourage you to look for ACA/APA.....but they can be hard to find.

15. Lowly Layman

This week's Collect is particularly poignant:

O LORD, we beseech thee, let thy continual pity cleanse and defend thy Church; and, because it cannot continue in safety without thy succour, preserve it evermore by thy help and goodness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

zimkhitha, Aidan, Botolph and 2 others like this.