ACNA Ordinal and Prayerbook

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by CatholicAnglican, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Scottish Monk likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting post, CA. :) It is good to see that they have combined "And with thy spirit" with modern "you" language, so there is no "and also with you" ungrammatical rubbish.

I am also gladdened in heart to see that there is no Common Worship/Alternative Services Form of Ordination, but a proper, right, true, and traditional one:

Receive the Holy Spirit for the Office and Work of an X in the Church of God, now committed to
    you by the Imposition of Hands; in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

A hearty Amen "with a loud voice"! :)

By the way, do the vertical lines to the left of the rubrics about the stole/dalmatic/maniple mean these vestments are optional?

3. Aaytch Barton

Aaytch Barton Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglo-Reformed
  4. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Based upon my six-month trial in a local ACNA parish, a ACNA BCP will be a long time coming. And who knows what it will contain when it does arrive. I requested the parish, in the interim, use one of the other BCP editions (1662, 1928, 1979). However, the ACNA clergy would have nothing of it. They were (and still are) bent on writing their their own BCP.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  5. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I cannot really say with any certainty that the service in the ACNA parish I tried out for six months had a "proper, right, true, and traditional service." The service printed up in a weekly service sheet was, as far as I could tell, a hodgepodge from existing BCP editions and other liturgy. And the rotating clergy did not seem to be well trained in Angican "proper, right, true, and traditional" liturgy.

I am sorry to write this. I am not trying to be argumentative. However, that is my experience with ACNA. I wonder if the ACNA is throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Toma likes this.
  6. Pirate

Pirate Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've never been to an ACNA service that seemed very Anglican. I've visited four of their parishes, and I've also attended an ACNA wedding. They just seem like charismatics or emergents to me. There was a serious lack of knowledge about liturgy. They need a BCP big-time. No offense is meant to anybody, and I'm sure that there are great ones out there...but Scottish Monk's experience seems similar to mine. They just threw a lot of things together from various BCPs or from the Catholic Mass (pre-revision) or from the Anglican/English Missals. It was really weird.

7. Pirate

Pirate Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't think so.

8. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I can add to that list, I used to attend an ACNA parish that blended Common Worship, the 1979 BCP, and other liturgical sources. It was a nightmare.

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Echoing Pirate's post, I have always wondered about the ACNA. In every YouTube video of ACNA services, there is a certain hand-movement that is displayed by everyone present. From laity right up to bishops, it looks as if they're waving someone or swaying at a concert with a lit candle. Coming from a R.C. background, I don't understand it.

10. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The ACNA churches that I've attended had been extremely pious and devoted to the 1928. Absolutely no tolerance was had for 1979.

CatholicAnglican likes this.
  11. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The action you describe is probably what is called "holy hands," and is frequently part of Wesleyan, Methodist, and charismatic services. Christian traditions that practice the presence of the Holy Spirit in the service will often use the practice of holy hands. If you want to observe this practice with all of its strength and meaning, go to a Pentecostal service close to you. And now for some background.

First, here are the scripture references supporting the lifting up of holy hands during the liturgy or service.

Next, here is a song about lifting up holy hands, sung at a Methodist church. Watch closely, and you will see then U.S. President Bill Clinton and family in the congregation.

12. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I can't speak to ACNA worship services, but the AMiA church I attended a couple of weeks ago had a beautiful, meaningful, and moving service.

CatholicAnglican likes this.
  13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Wow. I had no idea anyone interpreted those scripture passages in that way. Early images of the Church, and the liturgical churches of the present day, consider the raising of the hands to indicate a much more ancient and Eastern gesture: the Orans. Many, many depictions of it are in old frescos and mosaics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    This has nothing to do with holding meaningful services but if the rector is following the Prayer Book (or a Prayer Book)

15. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Actually, there are some solid Anglo-Catholic parishes in ANiC, All Saints, Rutland, Vermont is one I know of.
    http://acsamrutlandvt.org/

16. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Isn't it the Anglican Network in Canada?

17. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    There are a couple parishes in the U.S that are closer to ANiC Episcopal oversight, that is why they are under ANiC

18. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Why go outside of their jurisdiction? There's already an ACNA Diocese in New England.

19. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    How confusing is this ACNA ecclesiology! At least the ordinal doesn't seem horrible... very 1549, you might say. :)

20. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    It does to me.

What if the rector was following a Prayer Book but just spouting words and not believing what was being said? Would that matter to you?