About CHOOSING a parish. Please help.

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Anzulove, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Anzulove

Anzulove New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Undecided
    I am new to the Anglican/Episcopalian faith (more about the Episcopalian since I live in the US).
    As many have heard, the Anglican Church and Episcopal Church aren't seeing eye to eye about the homosexuality topic, and so, the Episcopal is under suspension for 3 years.

Am I breaking some unseen rule if I ask the priests of the parishes, in the city that I live in, where they stand on the subject of homosexuality? I am conservative, and I stand more on the Anglican side of things than the Episcopal. I do not feel comfortable enough to be that liberal. So I ask for sane, respectful, and open mindedness from you, the reader, to give me some aid.

Should I visit the Episcopal Diocese Office? I want to find a priest and parish that is conservative, but I just do not know how I should approach this.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi Anzulove,

I would suggest you visit the website of a Parish. Interestingly, as it is a hot topic, you can often figure out the position from there. Either you can work it out from the pictures (rainbows without Noah, and lots of same sex couples will clue you in), or overuse of the word inclusive, which should mean inclusive, but often is treated as the code word for gay-friendly.

It is entirely I believe reasonable to ask the rector where they stand, though it may be a hard question to answer if the Bishop has a strong position either way, or if it sounds like a loaded gun. Probably best asked in the sense of I am looking, and I am fairly conservative, and I have a few issues I have trouble accepting like ... - do you think this would be a good place for me to find a home, or could you suggest somewhere that may be better for me?. The downside of this approach is that you have laid it out so they may want to agree with you, however you are probably going to get closer this way than with a where do your stand on ... which sound more like a loaded gun.

Good look with the hunting and welcome here. If your profile clues people as to what part of the USA you are in someone here may have some specific knowledge. I think ACNA parishes are likely to be more conservative. I will leave it to the Americans to lead you on this.

Welcome to the forum, I have found it very kind helpful and conservative.

3. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Episcopal Church has taken very liberal stances on most all issues. If you are looking for a conservative, traditional Christian morals church you should look elsewhere. The REC church is good, as is ACC, APA, many others. Best of luck in your search.

4. Anzulove

Anzulove New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Undecided
    Should I just by-pass the Via Media and go Catholic instead? Lol
    Thank you both for helping me here. I shall look and see what I can find.
    Peace be with you!

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not in the least. Catholics are liberal on many issues and not faithful to Scripture even when they're faithful to their own traditions. Things like worshipping Mary and treating the Pope as a demigod have no basis in Christian tradition or Sacred Scripture. The current Pope, Francis, is revising Catholic doctrines and they have no basis on which to stop him, so basically whatever Catholics say as a whole is considered doctrine, it isn't fixed or unchanging. Whereas for us it is completely fixed. I would say look for a traditional Anglican parish, and pray for the successful conclusion to the Anglican Realignment which is pushing the liberals out of the church altogether.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_realignment

6. Anzulove

Anzulove New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Undecided
    I'll give it a shot and ask you guys: Does the 1928 Book of Common Prayer contain the Rite I AND II in it? I have a Book of Common Prayer, but not near me, and it has Rite I and II. I am wondering if the 1928 version has both Rites.

Stalwart likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

No. The 2 rites, one modern language and one traditional, are creatures of the 1979 revision.

8. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Good question. As @Lowly Layman says the idea of multiple Rites started from the 1979 version. The 1928 is a single, traditional Anglican rite.

9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Dear brother I'm surprised and a little disappointed on reading this post from you. Catholics don't and never have worshipped Our Lady. We do ask her to intercede with her beloved son our behalf. We who practice the traditional faith most certainly do not raise the pope to a status of demi- god

Anzulove likes this.
  10. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My friend I mentioned those things as reasons why not to be a Roman Catholic. If there were no reasons then we'd all be one. You have reasons why you wouldn't be an Anglican, I assume. It's just what it is.

Andy likes this.
  11. Anzulove

Anzulove New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Undecided
    Well, I am a lay person here. But no where in the Catechism does it state Catholics worship Mary or the Pope. They are not liberals. Now, if you're talking about those who attend the Catholic Church are doing such things, then they are not Catholics but merely attendees of the Church, but they are breaking the doctrine by worshiping Mary and the Pope. I may be a ex-Petecostal, but I've done my readings. Peace be with you.

12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    The Faith maintains that worship of anyone but the Blessed Trinity is heresy. Trust me, in my 53 years on Gods earth I've never met a Catholic who worships The Blessed Virgin

Brigid and Anzulove like this.