A question regarding Baptism and the church

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Joshua Allen Dotson, May 9, 2015.

1. Joshua Allen Dotson

Joshua Allen Dotson New Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    My dear Anglican friends I really like both low and high church. Is it possible my brothers and sisters in the Lord that I could be Low Church but still believe baptismal regeneration? I tend to agree with the Calvinist Richard Hooker in many of his beliefs. I say that so that you can understand where I am coming from.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Sure. It is one of our doctrines and taught in the Prayerbooks and the famous theologians like Hooker.

3. Joshua Allen Dotson

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Thank you Anglican 74.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Mind you good friend! I shouldn't describe the good father Hooker, or baptismal regeneration, as Calvinist? He was a Catholic Priest,scholar and confessor!

Botolph and Joshua Allen Dotson like this.
  5. Joshua Allen Dotson

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    That too is true high churchmen. I suppose he was Reformed Catholic.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hi Joshua,

I think the answer is a little more nuanced than simply yes/no. While Anglicans declare that grace, including the grace of regeneration is imparted through the sacraments, they generally reject the ex opere operato view of baptism which automatically regenerates the baptised by the mere act.

Article 27 states the following: "Baptism is not only a sign of profession, and mark of difference, whereby Christian men are discerned from others that be not christened, but it is also a sign of Regeneration or New-Birth, whereby, as by an instrument, they that receive Baptism rightly are grafted into the Church; the promises of the forgiveness of sin, and of our adoption to be the sons of God by the Holy Ghost, are visibly signed and sealed, Faith is confirmed, and Grace increased by virtue of prayer unto God.'

This means that not all who are baptized receive regeneration, only those who rightly receive it are regenerated. Also, we see that baptism is not the source from which our regeneration comes but rather the instrument through which our regeneration is "visibly signed and sealed."

Archbishop Cranmer, in his book "True and Catholic Doctrine..." Says this regarding the sacrament of baptism: "St Augustine showeth the same to be true in the sacraments both of baptism and of the Lord's body, which, he saith, do profit only in them that receive the same worthily....in baptism, those that come feignedly and those that come unfeignedly, both be washed with sacramental water, but both be not washed with the Holy Ghost, and clothed with Christ".

Cranmer makes this distinction by following the Augustinian understanding of sacraments. He quotes St Augustine from Contra Maximinum saying, " In sacraments is to be considered, not what they be, but what they show; for they be signs of other things, being one thing, and signifying another." For Cranmer, the act of baptism doesn't regenerate, rather it shows regeneration which is given by operation of the Holy Ghost in the sacrament. It makes the invisible visible.

Joshua Allen Dotson likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Joshua Allen Dotson likes this.
  8. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I would add to what was said above that we can say that if Regeneration does happen in the Christian, it happens at Baptism. Those who will have been saved were truly and ontologically made regenerate at Baptism.

9. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Many Anglicans would disagree, and so would I.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  10. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Lowly Layman likes this.
  11. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Dear members, on questions such as these refer to the doctrines which bound Anglican orthodoxy: Scripture, the testimony of the Fathers, and in particular the Oath of Subscription which ties Anglican orthodoxy to the Articles of Religion and the 1662 Prayerbook, wherein we may read:

Baptism is not only a Sign of Profession, and Mark of Difference, whereby Christian Men are discerned from others that be not Christened; but it is also a Sign of Regeneration or New Birth, whereby, as by an Instrument, they that receive Baptism rightly, are grafted into the Church: The Promises of the Forgiveness of Sin, and of our Adoption to be the Sons of God, by the Holy Ghost are visibly signed and sealed. Faith is confirmed, and Grace increased by Virtue of Prayer unto God. The Baptism of young Children is in any wise to be retained in the Church, as most agreeable with the Institution of Christ.

Articles of Religion:
    http://www.anglican.net/doctrines/articles-of-religion/

John Ellis, A Defence of the Thirty Nine Articles of Religion
    http://www.anglican.net/works/john-ellis-defensio-fidei-defence-thirty-nine-articles/

13. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    And I have no problem affirming these -- which I do not find to teach baptismal regeneration, by the way.

14. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Interpretations vary, so what, as Anglicans we follow the teachings of the Church in England with its two thousand year scholarship and Tradition! As for Gorham, the man chose his own way, but it was the state that backed him,not scripture or Tradition or the church
    As for the ones who left? It was the weaker bretheren, I don't blame them but they chose a corrupt sect rather than Christ 's Body!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  15. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    And those teachings are more varied than any church body in Christendom.

I participate on an Orthodox forum; they claim they are "Christ's Body", the "one true church" and are the only ones with evidence to back up that claim. With the Orthodox, Roman Catholics, High Church Anglicans, and many more making that claim, I wonder who is right, and how one would determine who was right or if any one particular Communion or Body was right.

16. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Dear Friend?
    You might well believe the Orthodox claim and good luck to you and that Communion! I most certainly believe the Orthodox are a part of Christendom and Christ's Body,whilst their claim to be the only Church i think is wrong.
    Your comment that you are on a Orthodox Blog, is quite interesting, in my understanding I find that many , what I think on as Evangelical individuals or even and certainly groups find solace in Orthodoxy. For myself, I have never felt the need to go to either Rome, or Orthodoxy whilst I have the teachings of my own Church! I most certainly think that The Anglican Church is a Communion of Catholics within the Body of Christ and all those groups who hold to the Revelation of Christ once made to the Saints, entered in to Scripture, interpreted by the Seven Ecumenical Councils .Even though the groups are split amongst themselves, are within the Church Catholick.
    I have to tell you friend that the Anglicans, as far as I understand have never claimed to be the One , Holy Catholic Church, only a particular communion within the fold. As to who determines membership? Luckily membership is decided by baptism & belief, I imagine the judge being the Holy Ghost!In God, we trust!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  17. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian

I in fact can agree with what you have said in your post.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  18. Lowly Layman

Archbishop Beach of the ACNA gave an interesting illustration on the Anglican understanding of baptism on his series, "A Word from the Lord". He said that, in baptism, we are like Noah and his family. We are saved through the water not by the water.

Thomas likes this.
  19. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    My first impression or reaction to that was that I liked it. But the more I think about it, I wonder if it's a distinction without a difference. How do you see it?

20. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    What is their proof?I'mnot challenging them, just curious!