A New Anglican Society

Discussion in 'New Members' started by The Hackney Hub, Sep 8, 2012.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I support you 100% Hackney, but I must ask a question from my own personal concerns. Isn't "promoting the standards of the Church of England" in "North America" somewhat Papist? I mean, there are already local, autonomous churches of North America which are Anglican, but not "Church of England".

The philosophy is beautiful... I am just personally worried about avoiding all tyranny in the world Church. You know how Rome went. We should have autonomy and locality in the Cyprianic mode, as with our Fathers in the faith. If the goal of this society is in line with that, bravo! :)

3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hackney Hub...

This looks very interesting. Thank you for posting. However, none of the member churches are anywhere close to where I live. That is always the problem. I read about a church group that I want to be part of--only to find out there are no local congregations within commuting distance. Maybe I should start a new thread about this problem.

...Scottish Monk

4. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    The Church of England formularies have historically been the standard of Anglicanism (i.e. see the Preface to the 1789 BCP of PECUSA). The Formularies supersede local adaptations of them (i.e. the 1801 Articles). These local adaptations have authority in their national Churches, so the 1801 Articles of Religion are binding in TEC but not in Canada. The Articles of 1571 are binding on all. The Secker Society takes inspiration from the Jerusalem Declaration and other similar statements form many Provinces in the Communion.

Toma likes this.
  5. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    The Society is really geared towards individuals, Scottish Monk. We're not a "1662 BCP" society. The members listed on our site occasionally use the 1662 BCP in services (although some use it regularly). We are more concerned about maintaining the place of the 1662 BCP as a Formulary and we feel the best way to do that is to promote occasional use to familiarize the laity with it.

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Wouldn't hurt. I find it hard to see in what ways the modern liturgies improve on the 1662; and also, in which of their parts they aren't worse than it, through a doctrinal washing-down.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  7. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hackney Hub...

Thank you for the additional comments.

...Scottish Monk

8. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Scottish Monk, if you want to send me your contact info, I'd be happy to send you some materials in the mail.