2017 continuing anglican joint conference

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Lowly Layman, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    It seems to be that continuing Anglicans have much more in common than what divides. I wonder however what are the feelings of their respective hierarchies, might there be more Bishops than Priests ( I ask rather facetiously)?

3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Arch Bishop John Vockler (Anglican Catholic Church) of blessed memory, was once asked what separated the Continuing Churches. He had a one word answer. "Sin".

Since that answer there has been a movement, albeit slow, of coming together. Most Continuing Churches have agreements with each other and share sacraments. This Synod is to finalize communio in sacris among the 4 Churches that are meeting. These are 4 of the Angl0-Catholic Churches. Other Churches have similar agreements.

One of the Churches, APA, is in communion with the REC which is a founding member of the Anglican Church in North America. So there is a movement, especially among the Anglo-Catholic Churches to unite. Also in my talks with a Dean of the Anglican Catholic Church and clergy of other jurisdictions, it appears the Polish National Catholic Church is quietly encouraging this move as a step toward communion between the PNCC and the Continuing Churches.

Of interest, the PNCC is recognized by Rome as having valid sacraments and has been courted by Rome to return to the fold since they separated around 100 years ago. And the REC has been instrumental in arranging/beginning talks with the Russian Orthodox Church on what divides us and can we move forward.

I have always been of the opinion that if the REC and the Diocese and parishes in the ACNA that reject the heresy of Women's Ordination united with the Continuing Churches, we would have a very healthy, traditional and orthodox Anglican Church in North America.

I hope this is the beginning.

Fr. Mark

4. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    I agree. Can you educate me more on Bishop Albert Chambers and what his connection with the Polish National Catholic Church was?

5. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    We were talking about the upcoming Synod last Sunday during Bible study. Praying for a coming together of the 4 continuing bodies.

6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    ACNA's proverbial millstone is going to be the convergence theory and the tolerance and even promotion of charismatic practices. I believe at least part, if not all, of REC will withdraw. In fact, a REC canon told me some time back that they were prepared to draw a line in the sand on women's ordination. If it is retained, REC is not.

There were some hurt feelings when REC went into ACNA rather than completing a merger with APCK and APA. They thought they would be entering ACNA alongside APA, but ++Grundorf, et al. would have none of it. Since that time, APA and ACA have moved towards merger.

We shall see what comes of the meeting in October. ++Robinson, of the UECNA, came out quite early and stated that he would not care to come into full union with some of the groups. It is my observation that ACC tries to assert a position of dominance at these conferences that is not helpful. There are some who still look down on the ACA as well, for their flirtations with the Ordinariate. This needs to happen but there must be a place at the table for broad-churchmen and evangelicals. This can't be a weird little Anglo-Papist club that demands use of the Missal and puts things like the Assumption on the Kalendar - not if we expect to thrive.

7. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    Well let's certainly hope all Christian charity and love prevail.