Shamefully ignorant translation of the NT gets the green light

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Religious Fanatic, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm appalled:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...ment-a-translation-david-bentley-hart/546551/

Being a collector of bible translations myself, besides having studied several foreign languages as well as having some acquaintance with the art of translation myself, this is embarrassing.

He is oblivious to the fact that the NT was written in common, everyday Greek and not 'bad Greek' as the author shamefully states. This was the make it accessible to everyday people and not to be esoteric, elitist garbage.

Sadly, people like this are championed by the media and fringe academics as heroes. Good thing I am hardly swayed by this.

Thing is, people who get academic degrees are hardly infallible unless they really care about their field. They can answer everything they need to get the degree and then use their education very badly. I am surprised at people who have attended Dallas Theological Seminary only to end up as professed Christians practicing reiki and mindfulness and the new age Jesus.

Aidan and CuriousBeliever like this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    And they compare him to GK Cheserton! How dare they?!!!!

3. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

This is why translations are best done by committee. With a single translator, you end up reading more about the translator than you do about the text.

4. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Indeed. Even Ronald Knox, who came close to rivaling the KJV in his eloquence, deviated a bit too much at times and injected a lot of his own pomposity into his translation. Good, but some have pointed out that it gets a bit more wordy than is necessary in order to sound clever.