Normative Principle sources?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Thinkingaloud, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Thinkingaloud

Thinkingaloud New Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello, new member here. I'm trying to research to better understand the regulative and normative principles for worship. I have found a lot of books and essay dealing with the regulative principle however I have found very little for arguing the normative principle. I understand these terms are fairly recent in origin s it may be I need to use different terms. Does anyone here know good sources defining and advocating the normative principle in worship theology?

Thanks in advance

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The normative principle is such an odd term, because it was basically the default Christianity until the 'regulative principle' was invented. It's like, if someone suddenly advocates walking on one leg, and there appear tons of literature advocating for 'one-legging', it will be odd, because there won't be equivalent tons of literature advocating for 'two-legging'.

Today (speaking of the American context) pretty much all even Presbyterian churches take joy in their organ music, stained glass windows, and often even a quasi-Anglican liturgy. This leads me to think that even they find the regulative principle non-essential and return to 'default Christianity' -- without masses of literature advocating for organs/stained glass/liturgy. The liturgy is found in Scripture, the organ is otherwordly and non-secular, and stained-glass doesn't carry the worry of being prayed towards.

3. Thinkingaloud

Thinkingaloud New Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ha, yes I see your point.

4. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Basically what anglican74 said. It's just the intuitive position. Nowhere does Scripture say it is the complete and comprehensive guide to all things. It has its place in the Church, a place of very high honor, yet it is not the totality of Christianity in its fullness.