Any suggestions for my religiosly-themed historical fiction book?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by DeusExMachina, Jan 17, 2017.

1. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello everyone
    In the while since I've been on here last I've had a wonderful idea for a book, inspired in part through my family history. I have discovered that on my father's side I am descended from a Black Irish family, Spanish sailors who were shipwrecked on the coast of Ireland.

I'm now writing a story about one of my (fictional) , a man by the name of Juan Salvador SepĂșlveda, a sailor in the Spanish Armada who was blown off-course and shipwrecked in County Cork after a battle with the English in 1588. He just so happens to land in one of the English plantations. Thus, he has to spend the next few years adapting to a new languae (English), but also to the Protestant faith of his neighbors. I've already written scenarios in which he struggles to accept Anglican worship, from balking at praying for the excommunicated Queen Elizabeth and worshipping in the vernacular, to his frequent comments that the priests are under-dressed, and his being taken aback at the negative reaction to his use of a rosary.

At several points, he will escape the plantation to be among "true Christians" rather than "heretics" [​IMG] only to find a language and culture even more alien to him than that of the plantation. I do, however, plan to have him take part in the Munster rebellion in 1598 against the crown.
    That being said, do any of you have any ideas of other things,, religious, cultural, or historical that I could include?

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi @DeusExMachina
    I have just posted on Article 30 - communion in both kinds which would have been a change that was about at the time.