Good Evening

Discussion in 'New Members' started by peter, May 16, 2016.

1. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello my name is Peter, I'm from the south of England. I'm a Catholic who follows a lot of traditional Anglican practices (for instance I attend Evensong at a local Anglo-Catholic parish). I have a strong devotion to the BCP (1662) which I use for private prayer.

Madeline and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

Hi Peter! Welcome. I also have a strong devotion to the 1662.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome Peter! may God richly blessential your time here at the Forums. May I ask what draws a Catholic like yourself to the BCP? Do you supplement with traditional Catholic prayers such as the Hail Mary or Anima Christe or prayers for the Pope? Just curious.

4. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Aside from the beauty of the language of the BCP, I find it to be theologically orthodox and free from "innovation" and liberal ideas. The BCP offices are also far better structured and easier to follow that the Roman Rite Divine Office, which I could not get along with at all. There is also everything you need in morning/evening prayer - penitence, scripture, psalms, intercessions, it is an extremely well crafted service. I tend to treat BCP offices as a prayer in their own right without adding or taking away anything. I use other prayers at different times - before going to bed I generally use traditional Anglican Compline before using some Marian devotions and other prayers. I also use the Rosary sometimes, but as a separate devotion at separate times. As for praying for the Pope, I don't tend to specifically (unless you count the BCP's "Send down upon our Bishops, and Curates, and all Congregations committed to their charge, the healthful Spirit of thy grace". ) I probably pray by name for the Queen more often.

The Mass I go to is Ordinariate Use (Divine Worship as we are now calling it), which is about half-way between the BCP done "high-church" style and the Tridentine Mass in Elizabethan English. It includes the Opening Collect for Purity, the BCP Confession, Gloria, Sanctus and creed, the Prayer of Humble Access and the Post Communion Prayer, alongside the longer Eucharistic Prayers of the Roman Canon, so I experience many aspects of the BCP Communion Service each week as well.

Andy and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The office of Divine Worship sounds very beautiful. I am quite jealous. It sounds like you have a very strong commitment to personal devotion. Very rewarding too, I'm sure. Bless you for sharing it.

Madeline likes this.
  6. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome aboard Peter.

7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome from down under

8. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    Welcome Peter, from another forum member from the South of England!