Monks / Nuns in Anglicanism

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Religious Fanatic, May 24, 2018.

1. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I am sorry for you as well.

I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It led me to the brink of suicide. Counseling and medication got me back on track, along with a lot of techniques, exercise and so on. (Exercise releases hormones that help relieve anxiety. I chose aikido, which also requires RELAXED AWARENESS and got a double win.) I'm in a good place now and off medication after several years.

I'm also a true INFJ. (By that I mean tested and diagnosed by a professional, in the course of my graduate studies, not a silly internet test.)

Add in that I'm hearing impaired, and wear hearing aids, an these three things make face to face socializing... difficult.

So, I get it BH. I don't get your condition, as I am not you and I don't have it, but I have read about it, and I understand what it means to deal with something difficult to talk about. You are ok in my book. Admitting it opened up my eyes to a lot of your behavior. (Not good or bad, don't think that! Just - "Ah, now I understand.")

2. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I mostly deal with my issues by thinking of cute things, listening to mellow music, or writing. I wanted to be able to help people relax by writing stories about rest and sleeping, which is part of my ongoing work "The Green Pastures Inn".

3. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I think a misunderstanding here is that all or even most monastics live walled in away from the community. In England they were critical parts of the local, religious and secular life.

4. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Indeed, I believe, if I remember my history correctly, that us why Anglican spiritual life was so different, coming as it was from being centered around the parish, monastery, community, etc, and not so much the city.

5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    A wonderful point... To me it means simply a life set aside, but the context may be in the city, and it doesn't have to be 100% cloistered...Perhaps ideally we are talking about friars

Peteprint likes this.
  6. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've made progress in battling unhealthy thoughts by adopting many practices from the new age spectrum such as Christian Science and others. I believe in immersion with the Divine Mind, I believe that this world is contaminated with human parasites that constantly persist in their fallen state despite the Holy Spirit's pull (their fault), and I choose to ignore and neglect those who remain in this state willingly, by not personally associating or being involved with them. Mindfulness and other practices in a Christian context can help you detoxify their poisonous influences. I also reject and despise the pursuit of fame or public recognition. I do not get excited about the hype or trends concerning certain pop culture affairs, rather I mourn them, having been aware of how they usually end up throughout history, over and over again. I like the poem by Matsuo Basho: "A cicada shell - It sang itself - Utterly away". I just see those things as ephemeral and not worth following. I myself am also ephemeral and only worthwhile through my connection with the greater mind Jesus Christ. I am seeing the indifference on God's part towards human deeds done apart from the righteousness of Our Lord as more reasonable as time goes by. To unbelievers it is foolish for God not to count their own deeds as being as good as ours, but I see it as a big slap in the face from God, as in, the times when people do things for you to get on your good side that you didn't want, which made things worse, or gave you things you already had enough of when you asked for something very specific that would've been more practical.

7. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    :confused:

8. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian

Attached Files: