Would I fit in an Episcopal church, given my background?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Laura S., Jan 1, 2018.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    JW can be rather sinister and cult-like, some people think.

Liturgyworks, Cameron and Anglican04 like this.
  2. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    Thank you all for your advice it seems as if I am going to have prayerfully consider visiting this congregation.

Anne and Anglican04 like this.
  3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    I can understand what you are saying. Most Chaplains do not go on patrol. A former sniper is not a liability. He was a trained infantryman prior to becoming a Chaplain. He use to give young Marines classes or tips on field skills, ie how to move through terrain without being seen, without leaving a trail.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Brigid and Aidan like this.
  4. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    In general, it isn't a great idea to talk about the TEC here. You hear some valid criticisms, but also weird quarter-truths like we were "suspended" from the communion, which is nearly a blatant lie if it wasn't so common.

Trinity Episcopal Church seems to be a fairly run-of-the-mill Episcopal Church, and seems pretty kosher insofar as I can see. If you visit and hear anything suspect, that can be a warning sign.

5. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican

Once again google is your friend. A simple google search with the episcopal church and the arch bishop of Canterbury reveals news media, Anglican and secular, reporting in Jan 2016 that the Episcopal Church was suspended from interaction with the Anglican Communion by the Arch Bishop of Canterbury and the majority of the leaders of the other jurisdictions in the world.

Around the same time, per the AAC, this happened.

Shortly after the TEC House of Bishops met in Taiwan, a group went to West Malaysia. They announced that they had heard the consecration of a new assistant bishop was about to take place and they were there to participate. Leaders in the Anglican Church in Malaysia said, “You are welcome—to our country. You cannot participate in the service however, because of the actions you have taken to tear the fabric of the communion and you remain unrepentant. We are not in Communion with you, so you cannot participate in the service.”

The Archbishops of Gafcon, now recognize the Arch Bishop of the ACNA as the leader of the American Jurisdiction and will not participate with any Bishop of the Episcopal Church in any service.

Potter, you jurisdiction is deemed to be in unrepentant sin by the vast majority of Anglican Primates. That is why the African Arch Bishops established the ACNA in the States and Canada. That is why the majority of Anglican Primates say the TEC is not in communion.

Sadly, the Church of England is going down the same rabbit hole of sin. That is why you now hear the Gafcon Archbishops questioning the orthodoxy of the Church of England. They now consider Great Britain as a missionary field. That is why they support the Anglican Mission in England and the ACNA consecrate Bishop Lines to lead the AMIE.

This thread is about the parish Laura mentioned. It is a run of the mill TEC parish. And for that reason I warned her away. Her soul is more important than hurt feelings. Are there orthodox parishes and Christians still in the TEC. Of course, but they are shrinking. When Bishop Love of Albany retires, he is orthodox, he will be replaced by a Bishop that is on board more with social justice than orthodox Christianity. Your Presiding Bishop Curry and your governing body have made it clear that a candidate for Bishop must hold to positions condemned by scripture in regards to homosexuality and they must ignore the teachings of Jesus on marriage and ignore scripture on ordination and the sacraments. Again just google and see there own words.

I would usually let such comments go, except you have violate the Commandment not to bear false witness against your neighbor. The TEC is suspended for the years 2016-2019. I know Presiding Bishop Curry and the leader of the House of Deputies, Gay Jennings, told you otherwise. The truth is you are suspended. Laura needs to have all the information to make her decision.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

6. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Whatever your positions on TEC, we aren't suspended from Communion. That's simply not true, and reads waaaaay too much into what happened. We are still in the Communion, if not quite in great standing, whereas ACNA is not. It's not a comment on orthodoxy, just our status in the Anglican Communion. The few sanctions that were applied anyways aren't even enforced, which I think is a little ridiculous but it's the truth and nothing but.

7. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    To clarify, we are not suspended from Communion. We are suspended from voting on ecumenical and internal committees for three years, but we still participate in those committees beyond observer status. We are the only body in the Anglican Communion in the United States.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

That is my understanding as well. I hope TEC will see the light before worse happens.

9. AnglicanUSGirl2

AnglicanUSGirl2 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I'm a conservative Episcopalian (yep, we exist). I go to a liberal university right now so I go to a liberal Episcopal church, but they're very nice to me. Even though I look and act a bit different :)

KateOG and Lowly Layman like this.
  10. Lowly Layman

Welcome! I'm an Episcopalian too

AnglicanUSGirl2 likes this.
  11. AnglicanUSGirl2

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Pleased to meet you! :)

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I too am an Episcopalian, somewhat more conservative than some around me, but in general, it isn't, what one might say, "so open-minded their brain fell out." Most parishes tend to be fairly even handed in my experience.

KateOG and Lowly Layman like this.
  13. AnglicanUSGirl2

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Yes exactly. Room for everybody

Lowly Layman and PotterMcKinney like this.
  14. Lowly Layman

Sometimes it feels too roomy other times not roomy enough...but personal experience is not always reality.

15. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    It is your reality however

16. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    This is time for a story to bring some light to the conversation.

One time, my uncle's father received a visit from the JW's. He opened the door and they did their chatty bit and he began to converse.
    "And from what road did you enter our wee village?"
    "Well, sir, we came from the west side."
    "Ah. So, on your way down what churches did you see?"
    "Well, we saw the Catholic Church on the hill firstly."
    "Sure ya did, and then you saw another one. The Anglican one."
    "Yes sir"
    "And then ye saw the Methodists on the other side of the road."
    "Yes sir, that's what we saw."
    "Well don't you think three Churches is enough to keep the Devil out of here?"

They never did come back to his door, but they sure did try the other houses.

Aidan and AnglicanUSGirl2 like this.
  17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    He could've also said , " can't you see this is a Christian community?"

Cameron likes this.
  18. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Aye. I recall he didn't take well to the Salvation Army setting up shop, however. Apparently he thought they were a version of the Vatican Police ;)

19. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:

20. KateOG

KateOG New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hi there, haven't checked in a while...been attending the local Episcopal parish for a few months now, and from what I have seen, it appears to be a fairly traditional parish and yes, even-handed. I'm attending the Inquirer's class and am considering reception in May (I'm from a RCC background). The pastor is a great preacher, and is a nice married guy (although I haven't met his wife...) While I have learned that there are a lot of liberal points of view in TEC, there should also be some room for us conservatives. Perhaps a conservative voice or two (or five...or ten...or a hundred...) may just make the difference in TEC.