Where can I find Richard Hooker's works in print

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by JayEhm, Mar 22, 2018.

1. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    Where I can find works by Hooker in print?

Thanks,

jay

2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    JayEhm likes this.
  3. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Just noticed it's an abridged copy though. Shame there's not an Anglican version of Banner of Truth to publish all these writings

4. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    JayEhm and PotterMcKinney like this.
  5. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Seconded. I get a lot of material that way and through my university's library.

6. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Gonna be the traditionalist here - go to your university library. I am constantly surprised at what mine carries. We have a few Hooker, Aquinas, Cranmer, Wesley, etc... all in their original publication.

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  7. JonahAF

JonahAF Moderator Staff Member Typist Anglican

I must apologize that we have not put up the Reverend Dr. Hooker's works online yet, so I am quite sorry for having to send you somewhere else. I suppose that our approach has been to provide books that are no longer accessible through modern reprints, and while Richard Hooker fits squarely within our timeline on anglican.net, his works have sufficiently many reprints to be available elsewhere. Another issue is that the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity is very large, upwards of a thousand pages. And while Thomas Bilson's Perpetual Government of Christ's Church is also very hefty at nearly 1000 pages, we have omitted those parts which (pragmatically) would suffice while still giving you a good sense of the whole; thus Bilson's entire teaching on the Old Testament church was omitted, and only a subset is online (around 40% of the total), but even that is more than most browsers can handle. Richard Hooker's work does not divide quite so neatly, and no single book of the Laws can be taken just by itself as a complete unit. Thus I'm afraid you will have to continue to use physical print resources to access it (which I'm happy to say are plentiful), and remember to read all seven books of the Laws in order to obtain the entire arc of his teaching.