I am very liberal. Will I find a home in the Anglican Church?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by seeking, Mar 6, 2018.

1. seeking

seeking New Member

Mentioned this on the intro thread, but this is causing me a lot of internal disquiet. I'm Roman Catholic: love the mass, marian devotions, smells . n'bells, the prayers, saints etc. but disagree with the social teachings on male ordination, abortion, birth control, and the LGBTT community. The staunch right wing views of most do not fit with who I am at all.

I had a friend that was Anglican and attended her church once or twice years ago. My father's side were mostly lapsed Anglican so I am somewhat familiar with the faith, it seems very similar to Catholicism.

As a liberal with these ideas, would I find a home in the Anglican church?

2. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Many mainline churches would be amenable to your views. However, the traditional doctrines of the Anglican Church closely reflect that of the Roman Church on female ordination, abortion, birth control, and the LGBTQ+ community. I suggest that you read holy scripture and pray to discern which orthodox church you may find a home in.

JayEhm, Aidan and Cameron like this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The challenge all of us face in the Church we sometimes feel is finding a Church that fits us, when indeed we should be looking to secure our Christian walk, where maybe some of the fitting has to be us, rather than the Church. Anglicanism in the wider sense provides divergent opinion on all manner of things, and one Parish may indeed be somewhat different in look and feel to the Parish down the road. Part of your searching will depend on where you are in the world. I suspect that if you lived in North America the answer may be different to the answer that South America would provide.

This forum is for the most part a conservative Anglican Forum, and whilst it is strongly representative of the historic tradition, if you want to explore Anglicanism there are a number of other expressions of Anglicanism which you may find a comfortable initial fit. Remember life and faith are a journey and we are always learning.

4. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The other thing, OP, is that being a Christian also means subjection to the traditions and teachings of the Church. While many people have trouble reconciling personal opinion to the official doctrines of the Christian tradition, this might be one of God's tests for you. It is okay to disagree, but to seek further understanding as to why the Church teaches that particular thing, is far more virtuous than just finding a community that agrees with your personal understanding.

See, the truth, if you wish to hear it, is not a subjective truth: it is an objective truth. Pray hard, and often, and consider the words of Psalm 139:13-16.

For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
    Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.

My frame was not hidden from you,
    when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
    in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    To me, this gets to the heart of the issue. We live in God's world, and we should live with humility and love for God's ways. Living in indifference or even in opposition to those isn't the right move. I fear that too many people today live in a world of their own making, by the rules of their own feeling and choosing. Being an enemy to God is never a good or wise idea.

6. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Hi Seeking,

I think others have given good advice here for you. There are very liberal churches within the Anglican communion and very traditional ones. One thing I notice that is absent from your post is theology. Disagreeing with the RC's social stances is not a reason for joining the Anglican church. The main reason for joining a church is that you believe that it holds a Biblical and apostolic Truth which brings you closer to Christ. From there the social teachings natural come into alignment once you understand the reason for them is based in scripture, reason and tradition.

Much of what you have listed for reasons as wanting to leave have nothing to do with theology per se, but on your social/cultural preferences. So, I would recommend that instead of letting your feelings about these social issues guide you, look at the theology a church teaches. Have you read the 39 Articles or any Anglican history? Do you feel that you could give up certain core doctrines such as belief in the supremacy of the Papacy or the Immaculate Conception? These are just examples, but they have important theological and historical reasons underlying the Anglican church'es (and the rest of Christendom's) rejection of RC claims.

You can certainly go to a Unitarian Universal church that has all the "smells and bells" of a religious service, but what is the teachings pointing to? Is Christ at the center? Do the teachings of the church adhere to the creeds and teachings of the church? I think these are more important questions to ask than focusing on social stances of your preferred topics in finding a church.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Amen! Amen! Amen!

8. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

I totally agree with @DivineOfficeNerd when he says you need to pray and read Holy Scripture. The following truths I will apply in this post is not meant to attack you, but the beliefs of heretics and SJW liberals. Let's get into this.

If you would tell your priest what you believe, you risk the chance of getting excommunicated because of heresy. According to canon 751 of the RCC, this is the definition of heresy. "'Heresy is the obstinate denial or obstinate doubt after the reception of baptism of some truth which is to be believed by divine and Catholic faith; apostasy is the total Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him." So if you support LGBTQ, baby killing, and other horrendous ideas, you are excommunicated from the Church of Rome.

So you need to read a ton of Scripture and pray a lot as well, reflect on your decision. This simply because most liberal views are wrong concerning gays, gay marriage, baby killing (abortion), and more are damnable sins. If you support these, blood is on your hands by participating in these sins, people who uphold such beliefs are sinning themselves and walking on the wide path to destruction. For the love of God and the love, passion, and mercy that burns within His most Sacred, Holy, and Adorable Heart, do not become a leftist.

You can find a home in the Anglican Church of course, everyone can. Just expect the home's beliefs will not be upheld, for the Episcopal Church (TEC) is ready to die in about a decade, for TEC is losing 10's of thousands of members yearly due to the abandonment of tradition and orthodox Anglican beliefs. Soon, they will be crying because they have no members and no funds. They spent it all on supporting abortion and funding gays.

Why be Anglican?

Because it is the true, Biblical faith, complete with tradition passed down from the apostles and Church fathers. The faith the Saints believed in. Anglicanism is the purest expression of Christianity, for behind the fake "Anglicans" in the news, we have the truth, the apostolic truth. Why would you be Anglican as opposed to the other evangelical non denominational protestants? Because as above:

1. Truth
    2. Church

The Church of England has valid sacraments. Whilst those non denoms are eating crackers and grape juice, we are eating the Body and Blood of our Blessed Lord as he instructed in Luke 22:19 "Do this in memory of me". And who can explain in words the significant amounts of grace that the Lord grants to those who are members of His holy Church and eat the Holy Eucharist? Nobody, for the grace through the Sacraments are immeasurable. In other "churches", they often do not have valid apostolic succession (you know, the thing that makes the sacrament valid), thus resulting in no grace whatsoever from that church. They have nothing to offer other than a 1 hour meeting where they read you the Bible, in which you receive grace, but not as much in the beautiful Anglican Church where we have the Body and Blood of Jesus as well as Holy Scripture.

Also, in other Churches, you have a very high risk of getting misled by false doctrine. Just look at those JWs and Mormons, they have been misled by the misled! Without the Church, it is like walking on a tightrope blindfolded. The tightrope being the path to heaven and the blindfold being false doctrine. With the truth in the Church the blindfold is removed, and that small rope turns into a sidewalk.

Sorry this is kind of a rushed post as I am occupied with homework right now. If you have any questions feel free to reply. If I seem upset at liberals, it is because of their actions, not them personally.

Also, this is basically what is going on in the Episcopal Church currently. May you be guided by our Lord and most gracious Savior, Jesus Christ.

[​IMG]

TemplarKnight40 and Lowly Layman like this.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Being a Christian involves sacrifice also acceptance and sometimes obedience. Christianity does not afford one the luxury of choosing which principles to accept and which to reject. Being a Christian involves work but it's the least to be expected after all He dragged His cross through the street and then died in agony for us. We are asked little in return, obey His commandments.

Anglican04 likes this.
  10. TemplarKnight40

TemplarKnight40 New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anglican04,

This is exacty why I've chosen to be apart of the Anglican Church. Awesome awesome explanation.

God Bless!

11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    If you disagree with teaching on male ordination, birth control, abortion and LGBT issues then you are definitely not a Roman Catholic

TemplarKnight40 likes this.
  12. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I will just quote C.S. Lewis (from Mere Christianity):
    "In plain language, the question should never be: 'Do I like that kind of service?' but 'Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular door-keeper?'"

Christina and Aidan like this.
  13. TemplarKnight40

TemplarKnight40 New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I guess you're right Aidan. I'm not a Roman Catholic, and I'd make a horrible one too. :)

14. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    With all due respect, friend, the Magisterium of the Roman church, the Pope, the Cardinals, the Bishops, etcetera, have stated that birth control is acceptable in some circumstances, the LGBT is not an issue for them and many if not most priests are actually gay, and even on the question of ordination the Pope has a commission to look into ordaining women deacons... It seems you live in a time of 100 years ago, not the world we live in today...

TemplarKnight40 likes this.
  15. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Seeking,

Thanks so much for sharing honestly your thoughts and concerns. I would counsel you to do what many here have already done. Pray and seek God's truth for your life! God's Word prpmises that those who seek will always find. Those who knock, for them the door will always open.

Pray for God to make your way clear. Of course I would love for you to find the peace solace I have found in Anglican Christianity but I recognize that your path may not be the same as mine. There is room for anyone who earnestly longs for God and to do His will.

I will pray on your behalf for God to bless you with clarity and may His Holy Spirit lead you in all truth.

Blessings on your journey, friend!

16. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I did say if you disagree with teaching. Afaia natural family planning is acceptable, anyone engaging in homosexual activity is contrary to church teaching, some clerics are homosexual but this doesn't have church approval , female deaconate is being looked at and I'm fully aware of which century I live in, all too aware in fact and I'm also aware of my Christian responsibility to point out when someone is treading an unorthodox path. This is a spiritual act of mercy.

17. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I pray everything works out for you, however if one is thinking of leaving the communion one is in, then you should examine the underlying reasons for doing so and then what are the implications of those reasons. If we leave a church over politics functionally we are saying our politics dictate our theology.

18. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The question you must ask of yourself and of the members of whatever Parish Church you may decide to fellowship with, is this: Do I love the Lord Jesus Christ and his teaching? Do I love my neighbour as myself? Does the church I am attending do those two things?

If the answer to any of those questions is No! or can't be certain, then avoid the place like the plague. If the first is not true you will spoil it, if the second is not true it will spoil you.

Jesus said "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." Jn.13:35.

Any 'Church', no matter how 'doctrinally pure' and 'correct' it may be, that does not actually DO what Jesus says, i.e. love one another and you, is simply not 'worth the candle'. In fact it has probably already lost its candle. Rev.2:1-5.

Christina and TemplarKnight40 like this.