Additions to the Church Calendar

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by JoeLaughon, Mar 4, 2018.

1. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I've always been a fan of adding a particular feast day for the execution of Lady Jane Grey similar to how the CoE church calendar once commemorated the martyrdom of Saint Charles, King & Martyr.

Any other additions you would like to see?

[​IMG]

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Orthodox Anglican Church is somewhat unique in commemorating the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary on our Ordo Kalendar. We follow the Eastern usage and it is August 15th. And my Ordination occurred and diaconal faculties were issued, with the title of Reverend, on April 28th: the Feast of St. Cronan of Roscrea. That commemoration is not on any of the classical Anglican calendars I am familiar with, but the Archbishop takes the liberty to choose from the broad collection of resources listing saints on days when it is expedient to issue holy orders or a pastoral letter.

Cameron likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'd like to see February 15 for the Coptic Martyrs, added to Anglican calendars.

The Coptic Orthodox Church remembers the murder of the 21 Egyptian Christians killed by the so-called Islamic State in Libya.
    We stand with them in solidarity.

Lowly Layman and Shane R like this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Actually 20 Copts and an African man whose name eludes me just now. When he was asked by his executioner if he rejected Christianity and accepted Islam he was so impressed by the Copts devotion that despite knowing he would be killed for it he stated "their God is my God". He wasn't a baptised Christian so he is a 21st century example of baptism by blood. For this reason the Coptic church recognise him as a convert and consider him to be one of the martyrs.

Lowly Layman, Shane R and Botolph like this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    His name is Matthew Ayairga and he was from Chad in central Africa

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Indeed, I think one of the sentences for the day should be 'Their God is my God'

Aidan and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I celebrate Lady Jane Grey daily, with a cuppa Lady Grey tea at breakfast and dinner.

I would love to see the Coptic Martyrs added. What a beautiful story, and testimony, for lack of a better word.

AnglicanTex likes this.
  8. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I would like Origen, though that's probably going to draw ire.